El Cheapo Lavalier mics for on site video speech recording

b00n

Hi there, guys and gals,
does anyone of you have experience with cheap lav mics?
I would need them once in a blue moon, to enhance speech intelligibility and suppress ambient noise for video shoots.
Capture would be either a small handheld recorder or a a laptop with an USB powered interface.
I kinda like Beyerdynamic stuff, usually, does anybody know the Beyerdynamic TG L34?

All the best,
b00n

I have used them a lot in recording lectures (with me walking around, etc.). They are okay. I use a Rode lavalier now, but started off with cheapos from Amazon.com. I would avoid the ones with a button battery. Too much of a hassle, and some have cables that are ridiculously long.

Thanks Jeffery,
that's endorsement enough for all I need :-)

The Achilles heel for these mics is the connection from cable to mic. With it being so tiny combined with all of the physical movement, they don't last nearly as long as the microphone. The main reason I went with Rode is that they have a short cable (the recorder is in my shirt pocket), and the cable is replaceable. I have had only one disaster, with the cable getting a bit unscrewed from the mic. Other than that, about 18 months of daily usage without a hitch. But the cable costs as much as some cheapo mics. :)

The Achilles heel for these mics is the connection from cable to mic. With it being so tiny combined with all of the physical movement, they don't last nearly as long as the microphone. The main reason I went with Rode is that they have a short cable (the recorder is in my shirt pocket), and the cable is replaceable. I have had only one disaster, with the cable getting a bit unscrewed from the mic. Other than that, about 18 months of daily usage without a hitch. But the cable costs as much as some cheapo mics. :)

I have a good supply of heat shrink tube and I am handy with a soldering iron.
Plus I will have more or less stationary sources, so I should be fine with finicky cables and connectors.
Connectors with belt clips could be a good option... but I guess I'll let them break first before I crack out the soldering iron right away... :drunk:
Thanks, that was really helpful.

Back