Edirol R-09hr vs Zoom H4n vs Zoom H2

litljonny

I am looking for a digital recorder in the price range of the Edirol R-09hr, Zoom h4n or H2 and I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who used these digital recorders.

I actually bought the Zoom H4n but I have considered returning it for the Edirol R-09. or possibly the H2. I want the best possible sound for the 300-350 dollar price range. The H4n seems to be pretty good, but I was wondering if Edirol or the H2 does any better? Also, the H4n is really bulky....I can barely fit it into my pocket. If the Edirol is actually a better sound, it might be worth getting just for that reason.

I do like the H4n's 4 track recording and I don't think you can do that on the Edirol or the H2. But I don't know how much I will actually use the 4 track recording so it might not really sell me.

Basically I just want the one with the best audio from the Mics. Anybody use these before?

I have the H2. I doubt you are going to hear a difference in the sound of the built in mics from one Zoom recorder to the next. I don't know about the Edirol. I chose the H2 for different reasons...features. It is small, convenient and inexpensive. It has four mics, and you get some interesting surround-like effects placing it in the middle of an acoustic jam. Looking at the H4n, they brag about their mic preamps. With the external xlrs, you can use any mic you want. So, if that is your concern, keep the H4n and use your favorite external mics. Quit worrying and go record some music.

Back