Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: ECM8000 Mods

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    This is fascinating stuff. Most of which is completely lost on me, but I'm very interested in this.

Thanks
    Originally posted by freshmattyp
    This is fascinating stuff. Most of which is completely lost on me, but I'm very interested in this.
    Do what I do,, Just read the results of how one techie gadget change altered the sound compared to the stock and so on.

Forget about the jargon. LOL

Remember these guys are sorta talking to each other in mic tech talk. I just read the results.

Great info and very interesting reading too.

Malcolm
    Strap it Cross Dat Stereo Buss !!

Thanks
    I received the following email from Digikey. Does anyone know where to purchase WM-60AY mic cartidges? I've looked through their electret condensor elements and nothing has the frequency response and range that these have.

You have purchased the following part number(s) from Digi-Key within the last two years.
    The manufacturer has announced this part(s) will become obsolete.

PANASONIC - ECG
    Description: MICROPHONE CARTRIDGE 6MM X 5MM
    Manufacturer Part No: WM-60AY
    Digi-Key Part No: P9959-ND
    Your Most Recent P.O. No:

For more information on possible substitutes, please click on this link
    http://dkc1.digikey.com/scripts/us/o...gi?pn=P9959-ND

Thank you for purchasing these products from Digi-Key. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Regards,

Digi-Key Information Services Team
    Email: mailto:info.service@digikey.com

Thanks
    Originally posted by Roybot
    I received the following email from Digikey...The manufacturer has announced this part(s) will become obsolete...WM-60AY...
    Yep. I knew I'd heard that some where.

Thanks

Grounding modded capsules

Out of desperation, I came up with a good way to ground capsules modded for 3-wire Linkwitz or phase-splitter use.

Basically it's a carefully bent paper clip. It can also double as part of a mounting system as shown above.
    Last edited by dayvel; 01-29-2004 at 15:36.

Thanks
    I've been trying to find out if there's something "magic" about the WM60-AY's or not.. like compared to a WM60-AT or the WM61 series.

Yes, Digikey is sold out of -AY's, but they have 8000 or so -AT's, which should only be different in being a few dB less sensitive.

Me personally.. I'm looking for a cheap mic with good flat response and high SPL recording capability, I want to use it for speaker and room measurement, as well as try my hand at recording race cars and engines...

Anyone have some feedback on that?

Thanks
    Originally posted by JonPike
    I've been trying to find out if there's something "magic" about the WM60-AY's or not.. like compared to a WM60-AT or the WM61 series...
    The 'AT's cheaper, but has a higher sensitivity. Otherwise the specs are the same. It's almost a dollar cheaper too. I went to the Panasonic site but couldn't find anything.

Thanks
    Since I'm new to all this DIY mic building.. I've been trying to gather info on things.

Don't know if anyone's done any measurements on these.. and I have heard that you might encounter ones that have problems, so you can't count on every one to be measurement quality flat.

I was wondering from the recording quality point of view where homemade WM mic's fit in compared to the real pro types (probably starting a thread here) or with the ECM8000? (tying it back to thread)

What say ye all, on a scale of one to ten, how does the Panasonic capsules rate, the ECM8000, and some of the >$100 mic's mentioned?

Thanks
    <I received the following email from Digikey. Does anyone know where to purchase WM-60AY mic cartidges? I've looked through their electret condensor elements and nothing has the frequency response and range that these have.>

Roybot, I ordered those just yesterday from Digikey. Yes, the capsules are discontinued, but Digikey still has over 3000 in stock. 61s have lower noise, so it would be worth to try. With Linkwitz mod they will have about 134 db SPL and with higher PSU voltage, even more. I am not sure, but I have a feeling that the 61s use a different from 60s, lower noise FET. When I get them I'll gut a couple of these guy.

<Out of desperation, I came up with a good way to ground capsules modded for 3-wire Linkwitz or phase-splitter use.
    Basically it's a carefully bent paper clip. It can also double as part of a mounting system as shown above.>

Dayvel, it is a cool solution. However, aluminum is prone to oxidation, so on the long run it wouldn't be very safe.
    I was thinking about phase-splitter (like what Scott Dorsey does in his Chinese mics mod), however, I want to come up with a schematics which could use the existing PCB with some modifications, so the more or less experienced folks here could perform the mod without getting into troubles of etching PCBs and that stuff. And of course, for myself I will make an 'exclusive mod'.

<Me personally.. I'm looking for a cheap mic with good flat response and high SPL recording capability, I want to use it for speaker and room measurement, as well as try my hand at recording race cars and engines...Anyone have some feedback on that?>

Jon, welcome. I don't think you can find something cheaper than already dirt cheap ECM8000. As it is, it might be too noisy, but let's see if we can overcome it...

<No skepticism here. I just wasn’t clear whether you were going to do the Linkwitz mod or try and swap the FET in the capsule.>

Both Flatpicker, both...
    And then, see which one is better.
    Yeah, I couldn't find the graphs for ATs either, so I just ordered more expencive AYs.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Marik
    Both Flatpicker, both...
    And then, see which one is better.
    Yeah, I couldn't find the graphs for ATs either, so I just ordered more expencive AYs.
    Go Marik, go!
    In the mean time, I've got a couple of MXL 603s and a V93 to mod...

Thread Information