ECM8000 Mods

Max SPL

What sort of maximum SPL do you think this mic (the one on page 5 with the 3 wire capsule connection) could take? Could it go in a bass drum or next to a snare as it is? If not do you think it would be possible to remove the fet from the capsule, connect a wire from the backplate to outside the capsule, seal off the back of the capsule, connect said wire to a (say) 20 dB pad before the signal is passed along to the (now externally stored) internal fet?

I've recorded drums with an EMC8000 by it's self about a meter infront of the kick drum for a demo. To be honest, we were all shocked at how awesome and clear the drums could sound with just one mic. Probably the best sound was the sound of the kick drum, powerfull yet natural, so I'm quite egar to be able to use one of these babies up close to, or inside, a bass drum.

Any thoughts?

Depth Charge said:
What sort of maximum SPL do you think this mic (the one on page 5 with the 3 wire capsule connection) could take? Could it go in a bass drum or next to a snare as it is? If not do you think it would be possible to remove the fet from the capsule, connect a wire from the backplate to outside the capsule, seal off the back of the capsule, connect said wire to a (say) 20 dB pad before the signal is passed along to the (now externally stored) internal fet?

I'd estimate its SPL as about 125-130db. I cannot tell you for sure how it'd behave inside of bass drum as I never tried it. The pops might be a problem though.
I tried it about an inch from snare and it had significantly lower distortions than the stock one. Since it was about two years ago I don't remember all the details, though.

I would not recommend removing the FET from the capsule. Besides considerable amount of work involved, there is a very good reason of using very small sized one in close proximity to the diaphragm. Any straigh capacitance will load the signal, worsening the S/N. The existing design takes care of it. ANY "normal" sized devices will have way too high input capacitance. I think we had a discussion about it somewhere in this thread.

Marik,

All the links to the various sound clips are bad.

If you still the clips, send them to me and I will host on my permanent web site.

Bumped

This thread remains relevant ant and is a very good project. Made me spend a lot to enable me to do the same. Work in progress.

Last edited:
Hello All,

How is the nose cap secured on the ECM8000?
I try to dismantle it, but I failed.
I do not want to use brute force now, as I want to use it in the future...

Heat, just heat from a heat gun, I read that part somewhere and when I got my ECM8000 I could not remember. Damaged my cap somewhat to remove it.
Also the Mike insert needs some heat on the cap to persuade it to come out. They used the same "glue" there.

<So are you going to take the existing FET out of the capsule and swap it with a 2SK170?>

Flatpicker,

Do I hear sceptical notes in your voice? Tell me what's wrong with that?

Why specific the 2Sk170 ????????
What about the latest digital amps or integrated circuits instead of the jFET ?
There is quiet a few developments lately from National and others like Maxim?

I thought after 2 years the interest to this thread was long gone...

I suppose it will remain current as newbies enter this arena, ike meself. Any status updates regards to improvements on this project. I see there is a few new amps on the market that replace the jFET and even some that is a direct digital amp from National.

I have purchased an EMC8000 and ripped it open, not much seems to have changed. See pic's

I also have a Samsung MM01That looks like a copy of the EMC8000?

I cannot get a panasonic insert locally and will have to import, I did buy some No-Name brand 20Hz-16kHz 1.5-15V and stripped one 9mm insert. No brand name available. It uses a 2SK596 jFET. It would be easy to change or upgrade. Any recommendations? I presume the Diaphram plate also have a lot to do with the quality and performance?

Above image shows the ECM8000 capsule (right bottom) and some cheap capsules (No Name) 20 Hz -16 KHz ?
There is a smaller 6mm (bottom left) and two 9mm (Top)

Here one of the 9mm is ripped apart. How do you determine the quality of the diaphragm?

Here is the jFET 2SK596

The PC board

The diaphragm, Seems to have some electret coating? The center spot is my finger mark :D

The WA61..xxx? close closeups's

The ECM8000 wand body (stripped)

The Samsung MM01 ... Copy? It is shorter than the ECM8000

Now for the Electronics of the ECM8000

The question now becks what to do for this rebuild. When i can get a break I will experiment with various options and add to this thread. Recommendations will be appreciated from those that have been there, Done that

Last edited:
Dont' worry too much about accusations like 'your mics are more important than me'. No matter what your hobby is, a woman will always think it is more important than her. But remember that their hobbies ARE more important than you and they will tell you so without hesitation.

well said my friend

Your first post was bumping a thread from 2004? Really?

*waits for tron888 to begin posting ads for cell phones*

great thread, guys (and girls?). it inspired me to crack open my ecms and try out some modifications. i got the linkwitz mod part working. but i am hoping someone can take the time to answer some of my noobish quetions:

i took out a few of the resistors marik suggested, but somewhere along the line the signal went dead. do i have to put jumpers in the place of all resistors to keep the signal going? following the path on the back of the board it looked like it should work without the jumpers. but i could be wrong.

thanks

Hello ladies and gents,

Bumping this old thread for some clarification.

Did any of you settle on the ultimate modding configuration for the ECM8000, either with the linkwitz mod or stock two wire configuration?

Thanks.

Back