Earthworks Three Mic System for Drums

Warhead said:
DJL, I keep forgetting to order that Kick Pad! Aargh, I will try and remember tomorrow. I checked one out at AES and it's a cool jobbie...

War
Thanks War... I'd like to know what you think about it... expressly on other mics besides just the SR25. I need to listen to the demo CD again, but if I remember correctly the KickPad bumped (EQ) the highs up a little.

I don't quite understand how that kick pad works:

what's the benefit of attenuatig a signal after it has already passed the electronics of a mic?? If the SPL is too high, the capsule will clip -- if the signal gets too hot, the amp of the mic will clip, right? So what's the deal about the kick pad between the mic and the board? (Earthworks seems very secrative about how it works, since its not explained in the brochure or on their web site, so I'm a lil suspiceous)

BTW: the mics sound indeed awesome (I got the lil CD a week ago)

I think it's an EQ, not so much a pad. The mic would have to handle high SPL's on its own, which is why the ECM8000 might not be a good choice.

I assume that, presented with a relatively flat frequency response across the audio spectrum from a mic (or whatever comes out of the SR25 - I can't find a freq plot), that it equalizes the sound by attenuation of certain frequencies (the way any passive LCR EQ works) in a manner that makes for a pleasing kick sound.

Again, by speculation on my part, if presented with the frequency response of colored mics which already boost and attenuate the spectrum from a flatline, the kickpad would process this signal in the same manner, but the mic's own intrinsic deviations would influence the output also, and a "different" sound would be present. Whether this would be more or less preferable to the sound from the SR25 would be in the ear of the listener.

If the SR25 is anything like some of their other mics, the mic wont need the pad, but your preamp might.
I just ordered the cd. I'm sort of hoping the new card. doesn't have the light low end of the earlier models.
Wayne

Back