Earthworks Three Mic System for Drums

P

Phyl

I saw the ad in either EM or SOS - can't remember which - and thought it was interesting.

http://www.earthworksaudio.com/

From an EM quick look:

...Earthworks was showing off its intriguing new Drum Kit System ($2100), a three-mic pack that features either three cardioid condensers, or one cardioid condenser and two omni condensers. The pack also contains the Kick Pad ($125 if purchased separately), an inline module that EQs the kick-mic signal to make it sound fat and full...

There is a CD in the link to the brochure with examples....is this something you can send off for?

I can't afford them but I would still love to hear them!

EDIT If I had gone down past the brochure pdf link I would have noticed the Free CD Link :rolleyes:

I just ordered mine!

Last edited:
That "KickPad" looks interesting, but doesn't look like they sell it separately. That and the Behringer ECM8000 might make a cheaper kick mic (depending on the price). I don't think its self noise would be an issue in this application.

Maybe we can expect a Berry knockoff soon.

crazydoc said:
That and the Behringer ECM8000 might make a cheaper kick mic (depending on the price). I don't think its self noise would be an issue in this application.

I afraid, its SPL handling can be a real issue here.
How do you like the idea of having a pad 3 times more expensive than the mic?

Marik said:
I afraid, its SPL handling can be a real issue here.
How do you like the idea of having a pad 3 times more expensive than the mic?
I'm sure you're right, Marik, as you've modded them extensively. I don't know what the max SPL of the 8000 is, but it's probably nowhere near adequate.

Is that "KickPad" just a pad? I was hoping it was some kind of passive EQ (or even active using the phantom power) to shape the frequencies of the signal as it passed through to give a more pleasing "kick sound."

"Therefore we designed the kick drum optimization in an external XLR package - the KickPad™. Just plug the KickPad™into the mic line going to the SR25 kick drum mic for magnificent results."

"As an added bonus, the KickPad™ will improve the sound of other popular microphones used for kick drum."

crazydoc said:
That "KickPad" looks interesting, but doesn't look like they sell it separately.

The KickPad is indeed sold separately, you reminded me I need to order one and check it out! I have the CD and checked this stuff out at AES and it's very cool. Cardioid and Omni packages.

You can of course use the kick pad with lots of different mics which is why I want to play with one separately. I just forgot to order it!

War

Warhead said:
The KickPad is indeed sold separately, you reminded me I need to order one and check it out! I have the CD and checked this stuff out at AES and it's very cool. Cardioid and Omni packages.

You can of course use the kick pad with lots of different mics which is why I want to play with one separately. I just forgot to order it!

War
Where can you get one in the US? I see one listed for 160 Euros (~$210USD) on a European website.

Not trying to pimp here, you asked...we can get them. I just forgot to order after the show and get them on the site.

War

For the record we are an authorized dealer, but it's a fairly new line to us and we haven't been listed yet on their site!

War

Warhead said:
For the record we are an authorized dealer, but it's a fairly new line to us and we haven't been listed yet on their site!

War

Hey Warhead, I hope you didn't think I was implying that you weren't an authorized dealer. I didn't see your post until after I make my post!

I'd like to know more about the new Earthworks KickPad... this is all I've found so far... does anyone here know more? Is it also a fixed EQ? Thanks

Earthworks KickPad

A good kick drum mic needs to be designed and optimized for a specific purpose - make the kick snap with a deep thud! With that in mind, Earthworks has rolled out their new KickPad - just plug it into the mic line going to your kick drum microphone and BAM(!), your kick will automatically sound even better. As a passive device, the KickPad is only a few inches long and won't get in the way of anything. While designed specifically for their new SR25 cardioid microphone, Earthworks suggests that it will improve the sound of any tradionally used kickdrum microphone.

Earthworks is being rather hush, hush about the actual EQ curve that is built into the KickPad. I've heard it though, and it's your typical cut around 300-500Hz. Maybe a tad of boost around 5kHz or so. And yes, it's fixed, you can't adjust the EQ.

Thanks for the info Raw-Tracks... if you can find out more please post the info, I'm sure others here besisdes me would like to know more about the KickPad. Thanks again.

I just got the Earthworks drum kit demo CD... and the Earthworks SR25 mic sounds pretty darn impressive on the demo CD. Cute little demo CD too. :cool:

DJL, I keep forgetting to order that Kick Pad! Aargh, I will try and remember tomorrow. I checked one out at AES and it's a cool jobbie...

War

Back