earthworks qtc 40

ssman

anyone have experience with this omnidirectional mic? Will use for solo vocals. I searched around, and one reviewer said it is too detailed for solo vocals... picks up licking, swallowing, etc.

I don't mind that much. I'm recording myself as I progress in my vocal training. I find that hearing yourself really really helps to improve and recognize how you can sound like crap. The more accurate/uncolored I can hear myself the better.

thanks

it's a good mic, I have a pair of 'em and a pair of earthworks m-30's but wouldn't use them for vocal applications. I generally use them when I need to pick up accurate stereo information.

Not for vocals

I agree. I own a few different Earthworks omnis, and as fabulous as they are, they are too fabulous for vocals, pick up TOO much if that is considered a problem. But, as drum overheads or room mics and acoustic instruments, WOW.

I dont care for EWs , particularly. They are VERY accurate, but I have found the self noise to be an issue. Of course I record classical strictly, so it may be more of an issue to me.

We've been testing 50+ tube LDC mics over the last year. At some point we wanted to make a reference vocal. And a QTC1 was the flattest, most neutral, and uncolored mic we had. We cut a track using a QTC1 through a Millennia HV-3 mic preamp with the same singer that had sung on all the tube mics. We were all surprised - including the singer - that her voice actually sounded better on the QTC1 than it did on any of the tube mics. The singer's comment after hearing her voice recorded through the QTC1 was, "That how my voice sounds in my head."

Absolutely, you can use a QTC40/QTC1 for vocals – and get amazing results. Just be sure and use a pop filter.

Last edited:
Oh yeah sorry I have the qtc-1's not the 40's. I'm not suprised they work for vocals but it definitely wouldn't be a first choice, but hey whatever works. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a good purchase if you're looking for a general use vocal mic. I recently used a qtc-1 through a UA 610 for electric guitar (clean) and it came out beautiful. I often use the earthworks mics like pzm's. Put them really close to a wall or tape 'em to the floor. They work real well for capturing room sounds this way. I love the Millennia Media pre's and eq's. I worked in a studio a while back that had a set of of each and I had to purchase them right away. Absolutely one of my all time favorites, a constant go-to. Hmmmm, my mics are awful quiet . . . .

Well, I guess it is a taste thing. I dont like MIllennia either .I have two HV-3Cs that are bookends right now. Bought several channels of DAV and got rid of them. I wish I remembered the EW model...i think it was QTC 1s..10s>?

sweetnubs said:
Oh yeah sorry I have the qtc-1's not the 40's. I'm not suprised they work for vocals but it definitely wouldn't be a first choice, but hey whatever works. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a good purchase if you're looking for a general use vocal mic. I recently used a qtc-1 through a UA 610 for electric guitar (clean) and it came out beautiful. I often use the earthworks mics like pzm's. Put them really close to a wall or tape 'em to the floor. They work real well for capturing room sounds this way. I love the Millennia Media pre's and eq's. I worked in a studio a while back that had a set of of each and I had to purchase them right away. Absolutely one of my all time favorites, a constant go-to. Hmmmm, my mics are awful quiet . . . .

I guess it's all relative, as far as self-noise. The first Earthworks omnis were considered to be too noisy for quiet applications (I think they were called something like TC30k and TC40k, but I don't remember exactly), so they came out with the QTC-1, which was supposed to be extremely quiet.

I have a pair, and I've never noticed a problem with noise. I use them on a Steinway for all kinds of music, including classical.

But I've never A-B'd them with similar Schoeps or DPA's (although I hope to soon), which may be what Ray is using. Perhaps in comparison they are a little noisier. But I can't imagine anyone calling them "noisy" mics. Perhaps there was a technical issue with the ones Ray tried.

hey big ray if you're not using your millenia media pre's then send 'em to me. Also I no you're full of shit, the millenia media stuff is amazing.

I agree with the coments posted so far. While the earthworks may not be the "go to" choice for vocals, they do work from time to time, especially when you want the effect of a very crisp, realistic vocal. For refrence to this statement the Arizona song, Some Kind of Chill is a prime example. For all of the other tracks they used a C12 (a real old on not the VR) on vocals but for this one song they wanted the effect from the earthworks (specifically a TC30k).

could someone please explain why they wouldn't use the qtc for vocals? i've never used a mic besides v67g

I'm about to go potentially buy a used one for $600.

Well, you wouldn't want to use a QTC 40 for vocals if you are looking something to flatter your voice, because those earthworks are so accurate it is scarry.

To sum it up:
Earthworks=acurate
LDC=sound good

I recently received a Earthworks promotional CD from Full Compass that featured the QTC 40 against other EW mics as well as the QTC 40 against a couple LDC Neumann's (I think it was the U87 and the U47). I got to say I was VERY impressed at the QTC40 in a female vocal application. Perhaps not my favorite but I can see some preferring it. Honestly I never would have thought of it, but that mic seems worth trying in a vocal application. I guess the lesson is you never know...

littledog said:
I guess it's all relative, as far as self-noise. The first Earthworks omnis were considered to be too noisy for quiet applications (I think they were called something like TC30k and TC40k, but I don't remember exactly), so they came out with the QTC-1, which was supposed to be extremely quiet.

I have a pair, and I've never noticed a problem with noise. I use them on a Steinway for all kinds of music, including classical.

But I've never A-B'd them with similar Schoeps or DPA's (although I hope to soon), which may be what Ray is using. Perhaps in comparison they are a little noisier. But I can't imagine anyone calling them "noisy" mics. Perhaps there was a technical issue with the ones Ray tried.

I think EW is still trying to shake the reputation from the earlier years. Their rather quiet now, though that wasn't always the case.

I have a matched pair of QTC1; great mics, but
1. selfnoise is a bit high (because of the minute diaphragm) and
2. They are rather usefull as a stereo pair.
Certainly they could be used for vocals, too, but I don't see that as their strength.

Back