E835 Love it!!!

Dracon

Yes, I am in love!

I tested the M58, the E835 and I went with the E835.

I also tested the MXL 990 'cause I felt that I needed to be so close to the E835 to hear my own voice, but after conferring with the other person who is going to be recording (my wife) we decided for the warmer microphone.

It just has a nice rich sound. The MXL 990 sounds very tiny and thin.
Anyway, thanks to this forum for all the information out there. I could not be happier with the choice of microphone for the price. :)

Last edited:
Yo Dracon, congrats on owning a mic! The e835 is one that I use occasionally as a stage mic, and also with my Korg Pandora for voiceovers. Frankly, I belive your description of the 990 is about right. Well either way, don't sweat it. The e835 is a perfectly good place to start. It's a well made cheap dynamic mic that is worth its price.-Richie

Congrats dude!

You're right that you have to be close. Now what you'll have to experiment with is the tiny distance between you and it. All 'cardioid' or 'unidirectional' mics have something called proximity effect, which is basically that they get bassier as you get closer. Find the right tonal balance for your voice to sound natural, or unnatural, depending on how you need it!

I've learned about proximity effect and plosive as well as clipping. Also was told that 4" should be the distance between my face and the mic.

Perhaps it should ... perhaps it shouldn't!! Sounds like a good place to start though - but you will learn more by developing your ears and working out where sounds best - straight at the mic, off-axis either vertically or horizontally, maybe using a little subtractive EQ on the way in ... ?

Regarding mic positioning, there is no right answer. Generally, you can work dynamics a little closer than condensers. As I have suggested, proximity effect is a tool that you use. Some times you want to be out of the proximity field, sometimes in it, sometimes you want to skirt it, moving in and out of it at just the right time. Some mics have more abrupt proximity fields, with clearly defined edges, others are more gradual, which usually means more forgiving.-Richie

Back