Are dynamics better for singing over an instrumental ?

JakeyMort

just saw a yt vid from recordingrevolution.com and he said he thinks dynamics are better for getting a vocal recording to sit in a dense mix, now most if not all instrumentals have been mixed/mastered to within an inch of their lives and are very dense, so does that mean dynamics would give a recording that sat better without having to eq the living daylights out of it ?

No.

In order for a vocal to compete with a dense mix, it has to be just as, if not more dense. That's what compression does for you.

The whole "dynamic mics are good for this and condensers are good for that" way of thinking is just inaccurate and misleading.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the voice being recorded. Some may benefit more from a condenser while others may work better on a dynamic mic.

I'd agree with [MENTION=103008]bouldersoundguy[/MENTION] on this and maybe add that a lot of the qualities of a condenser, esp. LDC, like high end, "air," detail, are wasted/lost in that kind of mix.

Dynamic vs. compression in microphones and dynamics vs. compression in a mix are completely different things. You want to match the mic to the voice rather than the mix usually.
(And if at all possible start with an instrumental that isn't mastered yet. That's the biggest thing that will help you mix it in)

If you want to have your voice sit on top of a mix get a midrange heavy mic like a nt2a, tlm 103, sennheiser mk4, v67g. tons to choose from.

I really hate it when people set rules, never break them, and then promote them as somehow the only or best way to do things. Before I make decisions, I use my ears. What something sounds like provides everything I need to make a sensible guess, then perhaps try an alternative. It would be stupid to make crazy rules - like blondes need condensers, but brunettes need dynamics, and if you have a beard, then you must use an omni, but if you have no hair at all, you really should record in M/S, with a ribbon. Seriously folks - this is what is being promoted. Rigid ridiculous rules are everywhere now. We should stop this as i just gets promoted as fact by the newcomers, who assume forum comments are always accurate. Right mic for the right job - which one? Depends on your mic box!

Back