Dynamic on Vocals. How Close Do You Get?

JG96

I usually use SM58's and MD421's and I want to give a D330 I repaired a shot. Live people get quite close to these mics and roll off lots of lows. In the studio how close should one get? Also anyone ever try a KM84 on vocals? I never thought of using mine for that. I heard that a KM184 was used on vocals on one of the Black Keys albums so now I am curious. I know y'all are gonna tell me to use my ears but I am currently away from my studio. I most likely wont be doing any recording until spring/summer. :(

Thats some deep stuff moresound!

Yeah the wait sucks. My band is on hiatus due to us all being at college so we will do an album/ep this summer. I may major in contemporary music studies with a concentration in audio production though. Then I can lurk HR while listening to contemporary music professionally. :D

I usually use SM58's and MD421's and ..
.. Live people get quite close to these mics and roll off lots of lows. In the studio how close should one get? Also anyone ever try a KM84 on vocals? ...
Shall we take it from the top?
Simple answer- with a 'typical' studio mic, anywhere from four or five inches (perhaps less), all the way out to a foot or two.
Find any freq plot that includes some curves for distance. Most any directional mic has that low lift up close.
The 'live mics drop the low end to be in balance up close with the lift'.
A flatter mic does not and it's tone is fuller at a distance (or perhaps too bassy up close), where the 'live style mic thins out at a distance.

So in all cases you are balancing-- and choosing-
-the tone and style of the mic
-the tone balance of the mic caused by the distance (and 'height/angle etc
-and the amount of 'air/room tone / bleed etc.

I would guess the 84 is very unprotected straight on so at least a good pop screen out a few inches for a 'blast buffer zone, and likely a low cut as well.

Back