dynamic or condenser? (and more)

mjss

Hi everyone, I'm yet another fledgling bedroom recorder. I've read the FAQ and searched the forums extensively, so hopefully my questions are somewhat informed... I know this is long, so I've divided it up..

Here is the background:
I'm recording myself playing guitar and singing. I have no problem spending money where it's needed, but I think I can only justify getting the most basic inexpensive gear to start with. The tascam US-122 seems ideal for my recording needs. For playing punk rock I'm fairly certain I'll be getting an SM57 or two for < $50 ea. (used) and use them for my amp and vox (seems like a no brainer). Things seem to get more complicated for when I want to play acoustic and do more subtle vocals. Please note: I do not play guitar or sing very well. In fact, "singing" is a generous description. Think Lou Reed, but still learning... umm and monotone.

Here are my questions:

1) For the dynamic SM57 or 58, will the pre-amps in the US-122 be sufficient, or would it be worth the investment to put $110 into a 2 channel behringer tube pre-amp to sweeten the sound? Would that scale for later use with better gear sometime in the future? I figure it might also be helpful if I ever want to D/I a guitar...

2) For recording acoustic guitar + vox will an SM57/58 combo suffice? Or would I significantly benefit from adding something like a V67G or other ld condenser mic to my toolbox? I figure I need something fairly forgiving for vocals and with good isolation to minimize bleeding between tracks.. Do I stick with the dynamic shure's for vocals across the board? Or can someone recommend a $100 condenser that may flatter my "singing" style? Should I consider a condenser for my acoustic guitar?

Last edited:
my idea....

in my experiences :o ....
SM 57/SM 58 do not handle that "high quality" vocal recording
because it's not that sensivity
it's ok for live performance, but for recording, it's a bit detailless.
I would go for condensor mic if your purpose is on vocal and guitar.
condensor usually pick up more detail than dynamic and wider angle pick up
but hardly stand higher vol.

1 Good condensor mic can do the job of 6 bad dynamic sometimes...

Since you said you have searched this fourm extensively, you know that what was said above is not true. SM 57 is fine for vocals, especially punk, especially at your level (Someone will back me up, don't worry). I wouldn't bother with the 58 since it's more expensive and is basically the same mic. The US-122 seems like a good idea, infact, let me know how that sounds, I might want to pick one up. Don't bother with the behringer tube pre. It won't add much "good" tube sound, and the pre's in the 122 are probably sufficient. Plus you can save your money for more important things (ie recording software, monitors, acoustic treatments, more mics...etc). If you are dead set on getting a condenser, the V67G is probably a good choice. If I were you, I would get one or two SM57's, see how they work out for you and then think about another mic.

All just my opinion of course.

I have not used that Tascam interface, so I can not really speak about its quality but it is probably so so at best, but out doubt a Beringer would be a whole lot better. I say stick with that for now until you want to spend some money on gear.

An SM57 and 58 are a great start point for you. I just finished producing a punk record last night and I had the two singers singing into a 57 and a 58. The 58 is actually a really good vocal mic. I think Bono from U2 has been using one for lead vocals for almost every record in the last 20 years.

A 57 is not a "bad" mic for acoustic, but its not going to give you a brite open sound. Its going to be a little more boxy and in your face which at times can be pretty cool. The thing with condensor is that the super cheap ones sound pretty bad, so until you want to spend a couple hundred bucks, I would stick with the 57 and 58. The 57 will also be great on electric guitar, percussion, drums and many other things.

US-122s are good for the money. I think the pres in those are definately better then the behringer ones. I was actually surprised at how well they performed.

Danny

Back