Drying my vocals

arsenaultk9

I've noticed that when I was in a room filled whit smokers I had dryer vocals and they led me to have a voice much similair to what I'm trying to do. I liked the fact that my vocals were drier, but I don't like the fact that I have to be with smokers or smoke to have drier vocals cause I don't want to have cancer at my 40's. So here my question, how can I acheive this effect without smoking. Thanks in advance.

The change in voice could be the result of a million different factors, such as lubrication, humidity, temperature, illness, reflux, medication, strain caused by extended use (particularly in noisy environments). You seem to be basing your observation on one particular event.

To attempt to sing in something other than your natural voice without the assistance of a vocal coach will probably lead to strain / vocal damage and would not be advised. Many, many singers have destroyed their voices by trying to replicate the style or tone of another.

That's a good observation and one I've wondered about also. The tonal quality or harmonic content of the voice depends on many factors, one of which is the condition of the vocal cords. That's why many singers drink lots of water, to keep them well hydrated and elastic.

However, if they become dried or inflamed (as in laryngitis or overuse), their effective length, elasticity, smoothness and thickness will change, changing the quality of the voice. So it may be that the smoke filled air you breathe causes your cords to become mildly inflamed, changing the quality of your voice, which you find pleasing.

I myself notice that sometimes in the morning if I sing shortly after I wake up, that my voice has a more gritty and rough quality which I too find pleasing, probably due to some mucus and boogers around the cords which have accumulated overnight. Unfortunately it soon disappears. I've thought of spraying some slightly inflammatory substance, such as vinegar, over them to see what happens, but haven't had the guts to try it yet. I'd hate to have them swell shut. :D

In your case, I don't know what non-toxic substance you could substitute for the smoke. Just play in bars until you find out. :)

well thanks. I've noticed that when I drink a small amount of beer (1 or 2) I could get higher notes that I can normally could do. I'm not asking how to get there, but I'm asking, can you drink beer before going in studio or is it illegal

arsenaultk9 said:
well thanks. I've noticed that when I drink a small amount of beer (1 or 2) I could get higher notes that I can normally could do. I'm not asking how to get there, but I'm asking, can you drink beer before going in studio or is it illegal

in some studios it's mandatory to drink before you enter! :D ;)

in some studios it's mandatory to drink before you enter!

and don't forget the "fattys" I think you have to have those in alot of studios.

I alway think of dry vocals as being without reverb.
The beer probably just lubes your throat a bit. but if you can't hit comfortably it'll sound like you're straining on a recording

arsenaultk9 said:
I've noticed that when I was in a room filled whit smokers I had dryer vocals and they led me to have a voice much similair to what I'm trying to do. I liked the fact that my vocals were drier, but I don't like the fact that I have to be with smokers or smoke to have drier vocals cause I don't want to have cancer at my 40's. So here my question, how can I acheive this effect without smoking. Thanks in advance.
Try addiing a little distortion (very little) to your vocal track when you mix down. ;)

Back