Drum set/allround mics

hrn

Hi,
Going to get some mics for recording drums. I've been thinking about these ones.

Kick: AKG D112
Snare: ?
Toms: 3-4 Shure SM57
Hihat: Oktava Mk01
Overhead: 2 ADK A51 (already tested and bought them)

Need some advices, for example, I never tested anything else than the D112 on kicks. It's a great mic, but nowadays there is alternatives...

I will also use the mics for other purposes, so the "allround-factor" is not to forget. Recording guitar, bass, choir, acoustic instruments...

The music style is mainly rock to metal.

My picks...

1 AKG D112 (kick)
1 Shure SM57 (snare)
3 Sennheiser 421s (toms)
A pair of Shure SM81 or AudioTechnica 4051 (overheads)

Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks. Forgot to tell my name, it's Hans anyway.

Musical style samples here in real good quality too (including mp3):

http://www.hig.se/~hrn/
-->samples
----->music
--------->hagen

SM57's used for toms here, D112 for kick, a CAD dynamic mic for snare..don't remember what kind. On Hihat the Octava MK01 and for overheads a Pearl (Swedish one) stereo mic.

Heard that the Sennheisers are great for toms before. Could you tell about the differencies to the Shure SM57's.

Hans
www.hagen.nu

Tjenare Hasse :)

If you want versatile mics, not only for drums, these are some mics I'd recommend.

SM57 for obvious reasons
Audio Technica ATM25. Good for kick, and it's what Tomas Skogsberg uses for toms.
Sennheiser MD421. Also a good kick/tom mic. also good for numerous other applications.

I personally have a pair of the Oktavas, and I like them a lot, and use them for lots of stuff. Tho the only comparision I can make is with Rode NT3 and AKG C1000. I bought my two for 2650SKR each at Estrad Musik in Stockholm.

Lycka till

the akgd112 or atm25 on kick
sm57 on snare
the sennheiser 421's on toms
marshall mxl603's or octava mk012's on overheads

Mesh should be able to tell you where to find some of this stuff......

Hejsan själv Meshuggah, Gidge, Bruce,

Have to check some of my records made by Skogsberg for the tom sound.

I'll get at least one SM 57, that's for shure(!!)

It seems like I have to check Shure SM81, AudioTechnica 4051, Audio Technica ATM25, marshall mxl603's....Hmm, I will never have my studio finished..

What about my ADK A51's, noone using them for overheads?

Hans
www.hagen.nu

The MD421 MKII's sound excellent on toms, and hand drums as well. They really bring out the "bong" sound that those types of drums have, without getting boomy and honky, (for lack of better terms)

Isaiah

Blue Bear Sound said:
My picks...

1 AKG D112 (kick)
1 Shure SM57 (snare)
3 Sennheiser 421s (toms)

Bruce

Nice selection Bruce!

Blue Bear Sound said:
My picks...

1 AKG D112 (kick)
1 Shure SM57 (snare)
3 Sennheiser 421s (toms)

Bruce

I'd replace the "egg" with a CAD Equitek 100 (full round bottom and can handle something like 140 dB -- good for kicks, as well as field artillery). You're bang-on (pun intended) with the toms and snare. I've used sm81's for overheads, also for hats and like them. Never tried any 4051s, though. My MXL 603's work real nice on overheads, too.

Blue Bear Sound said:
I wouldn't replace a thing --- I have gotten excellent results with the 112!!!

YMMV....

I don't doubt that for a minute. The D112 is a fantastic kickdrum mic and that's why it's become a near industry-standard. But I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the sound you'd get with an E100 :)

Kelly Dueck said:

I don't doubt that for a minute. The D112 is a fantastic kickdrum mic and that's why it's become a near industry-standard. But I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the sound you'd get with an E100 :)

If I were to replace the AKG D112, I would replace it with an EV RE-27.

Fishmed said:

If I were to replace the AKG D112, I would replace it with an EV RE-27.

Closest thing I've ever used is an RE-20. And it was definitely awesome on kick. Have you tried an RE-20 and if so how's it compare to the RE-27?

Kelly Dueck said:

Closest thing I've ever used is an RE-20. And it was definitely awesome on kick. Have you tried an RE-20 and if so how's it compare to the RE-27?

I forget what the difference between the two are - aside from the color. The RE-27 MAY have an extra switch or two.

hrn,

I like your songs. What guitar setup did you record Mother Nature with, and what process did you use to do it? I love that guitar sound.

This is really a great place to hang out at, the input is worth a lot to me.

Yesterday I A-B tested a Shure Beta 57 to a new mic which my dealer recommended. The name is JTS Microphones NX 7. In my opinion the NX 7 sounded better than the Shure, especially in the lower regions...well, better over all.

I was told the mic is produced at the same (China?) factory as the Shures. I was very surprised in a positive way. In Sweden, the price is about 1300 kr which is about the same as for a SM 57.

Anyone else using them?

Fishmed,
The guitar used is an Ibanez Universe 7-string with a Mesa Boggie stack and a Shure right at the baffle, very close....

forgot to tell you, it's emulated through a Roland GP-100. It's not a factory sound though. I listened to the Smashing Pumpkins double CD (forgot the name) and their guitar sound and tried to get it as heavy as that.

It's recorded straigt into a Pro-Tools interface (888 I think). In the mix, nothing is done except dubbing the playing and panning it 100% left-right.

I've tried the Pod, but the GP-100 still rules

Hans
www.hagen.nu

hrn said:

forgot to tell you, it's emulated through a Roland GP-100. It's not a factory sound though. I listened to the Smashing Pumpkins double CD (forgot the name) and their guitar sound and tried to get it as heavy as that.

It's recorded straigt into a Pro-Tools interface (888 I think). In the mix, nothing is done except dubbing the playing and panning it 100% left-right.

I've tried the Pod, but the GP-100 still rules

Hans
www.hagen.nu

I have a GP-100 also, and indeed it is a great piece of gear. If you would not mind, could you find out what the settings your guitar player used and email them to me? My email is fishmed@aol.com

Perhaps I could offer a few patches to him.

Thanks.

Back