drum overheads

intune

Am recording mostly hard hitting country and rock music. I know it is a difficult questio but what mikes do you suggest for drum overheads and maybe I could here some of your results. Am kind of partial to shure mics. Thank you for any info an Merry Christmas to all.

Don't know how relevant this is to your situation, but we do record a lot of rock (mostly metal) and country here. Here are some of the makes and models we use as drum overheads:

Behringer ECM8000 omni (about $70 for a pair)
Marshall MXL-603S cardioid (about $160 for a pair)
Audix TR-40 omni (about $340 for a pair)
Oktava\RTT MC012 matched cardioid (about $350 for a pair)
Shure SM-81 cadioid (about $500 for a pair)

Thanks alot Harvey. Have recently been able to pick up some Beldon 15 pair shielded 20 gauge wire. Do you think 20 gauge is big enough for a 100 foot snake?

intune

I use a pair on Beyer Opus83 ($700-$800 for a pair in Aust, so you're probably looking at $250-$300 in the USA).
Very sweet.

Harvey....have you heard any official word on these mics?

mark

Mark, I haven't heard anything about the Beyer Opus 83 either way.

Intune, I'd be a little nervous about using 20 gauge wire in any situation where the cable is going to be moved around a lot. Do you know the capacitance rating of the cable? And is each pair shielded separately?

Harvey Gerst said:
Mark, I haven't heard anything about the Beyer Opus 83 either way.

Intune, I'd be a little nervous about using 20 gauge wire in any situation where the cable is going to be moved around a lot. Do you know the capacitance rating of the cable? And is each pair shielded separately?

Harvey,
can you explain this? I recently read that long cables can act like a capacitor, but i didn't really understand it.
thank you in advance
Harald

I use a pair of radio shack PZMs screwed to the cieling as drum overheads. Seems to work well(these are the old ones, made by crown, so its rumored).

If you've got the money go for sm81's. They are truly great mics. If you don't have the money, I'd recommend the mxl 603's.

I am pretty sure I will go for the SM 81's.
Thanks for all the info. About the cable, the pairs are individually, and I guess I could measure the resistance. The cable is designed for analog signals from transmitters. Are cables supposed to have a specific resistance are is it best to just see what they sound like. I also can get some 16 gauge.

Back