Drum Mic's

McButtsky

I've convinced the boss to buy a proper set of drum mic's to replace the mish mash of SM57's, 58's and Beyerdynamic odd jobber's which sound pretty crap except the 57's on the snare. But he said he wont spend more than £500 for the set. Now we already have the 57's which i use on the snare, and 2 Oktava 012's for OH and a Joe Meek JM47 which i sometimes use for Amibient, so all i need is mics for the toms, Hi Hat and i'd like a second kick mic. I've used the Sennheiser drum mic's but wasnt impressed with them except the E602 for kick and 664 condensers for OH and Hi Hats. However the clip on 604's sounded too dull and through experimentiation i tried the oktava's on the toms and they sounded much clearer but there was to much bleed thru for my liking, but i like the idea of condenser mic's for toms.
I checked out the Audix drum mics which seem good but are too expensive, the set we would need is twice our budget, but the boss seems impressed by the AKG set which includes a D112, 4 clip on condensers and 2 C1000's. How do these mics fair, are the clip on's good for tom's or do they let in alot of surrounding sound. Any other suggestions for a Drum mic set?

Cheers

Beyerdynamic oddjobbers :eek:

You'd better not be referring to the M201 :mad:

But if you are, they're worthless. I'll take em off your hands if you like.

agreed with mark.

what are these beyerdynamic terrible mics that you have?

you must be rid of them. i'll paypal you 20 quid. you send them to me.

Yeah, the M88's a pile of Dog's doings as well. If you have one just send it to me and I'll dispose of it in an enviromentally friendly fashion for you.

Likewise for any M160s or M130s you might have lying around.

;)

McButtsky said:
I've convinced the boss to buy a proper set of drum mic's to replace the mish mash of SM57's, 58's and Beyerdynamic odd jobber's which sound pretty crap except the 57's on the snare. But he said he wont spend more than £500 for the set. Now we already have the 57's which i use on the snare, and 2 Oktava 012's for OH and a Joe Meek JM47 which i sometimes use for Amibient, so all i need is mics for the toms, Hi Hat and i'd like a second kick mic. I've used the Sennheiser drum mic's but wasnt impressed with them except the E602 for kick and 664 condensers for OH and Hi Hats. However the clip on 604's sounded too dull and through experimentiation i tried the oktava's on the toms and they sounded much clearer but there was to much bleed thru for my liking, but i like the idea of condenser mic's for toms.
I checked out the Audix drum mics which seem good but are too expensive, the set we would need is twice our budget, but the boss seems impressed by the AKG set which includes a D112, 4 clip on condensers and 2 C1000's. How do these mics fair, are the clip on's good for tom's or do they let in alot of surrounding sound. Any other suggestions for a Drum mic set?

Cheers

Humm, let's see... ok, here you go.

KK... ATM25
SN... SM57
OH... MC-012's
And don't mic the toms or HH... because, you'll pick them up good in the OH mic's.

What are these Beyerdynamics you have that are so awful? I don't think I've ever seen anyone be that dismissive of Beyerdynamic mics before (not even the TGX versions). Most people seem quite fond of them, or at least tolerant.

I love my M201s and M99 :D And I really want to pick up a couple of the M160 Ribbon mics at some point in the future too :cool:

I have no idea what model they are, but they look like nasty SM57 knock off's. Hang on i'll see if i can find out what they are.

McButtsky said:
I have no idea what model they are, but they look like nasty SM57 knock off's. Hang on i'll see if i can find out what they are.

That sounds like the M200.

And the M200 is supposed to be good is it?. Whats its best application cos i've prefered a 57 over that Beyer thing everytime. i may of course be using it for the wrong thing.

I've had no experience with the M200 (are they?). Unfortunately I doubt anyone else here has had either. :(

The M201 is a great mic though. Just do a search on any recording forum or newsgroup if you doubt me.

Back