Drum Mic Madness!!

You can get them brand new and cheaper than that direct from full compass?!?!?! Why would you buy them off ebay for more? :confused:

The only part that was really unexpected looking at the results was how many condensers actually were fairly high up on my list on toms. I expected them to be pretty dynamic-centric in terms of getting rid of the difference tones on the one tom whose tuning was off. The fact that the CAD M177 did almost as good a job was surprising... unless its output level was simply lower and all I was hearing were the overheads/room mics.

I love that I picked my own kick mic (D112) as my top choice and that I liked that sound significantly better than the next runner up.... Familiarity, perhaps, but it's still pretty amusing.

I'm a little surprised that I favored an SM57 inside the kick over a Beta 52, but it wasn't dramatically better, and a lot of it may also be placement. I've always heard people suggest using the Bets 52 at the sound hole, not inside the kick. It would be nice to have a sample of the Beta 52 placed there for comparison.

It was mildly surprising that I didn't like the Gefell mics on hat, but what I disliked about them was the exaggerated stick noise (particularly on #6). I'm wondering if that would clear up by removing a HF disc or some other similar mod to de-hype the high end. *shrugs*

I'm a little surprised that I favored an SM57 inside the kick over a Beta 52, but it wasn't dramatically better, and a lot of it may also be placement. I've always heard people suggest using the Bets 52 at the sound hole, not inside the kick. It would be nice to have a sample of the Beta 52 placed there for comparison.

The Beta was just barely inside the hole. Certainly playing with placement on each mic would have made significant differences.

Wow I amazed myself.....

I own the D6, and could easily pick it out of the line up.

As soon as I heard iKick02.... I knew it had to be the Audix D6.

Here are my notes on the Inside Kick Mics

01 - nice. second best choice
02 - Probably the D6 - first choice
03 - boxy, didn't like
04 - didn't like
05 - ok... third best
06 - aggressive sounding
07 - sounds similar to 06 ??

For the overhead test was Craig doing the Bonham Shuffle??! From fool in the rain? It sounds like in the begging he breaks it out for a bar or two!

Either way amazing drummer.

For the overhead test was Craig doing the Bonham Shuffle??! From fool in the rain? It sounds like in the begging he breaks it out for a bar or two!

Either way amazing drummer.

Ha! Just found this thread again.... Lots of great comments! Thanks!

I don't think there was any direct intention to do "the Bonham Shuffle" Bguzaldo. But I have to agree that Craig is an amazing drummer. I guess you have to be to play with The Magic Band, but I just love his "normal" grooves. My favorite drummer...:thumbs up::thumbs up:

PS - just for the record, most all my drum choices have stayed the same since I originally posted this, but my tom mics have changed. I still occasionally use the CAD's on toms, but now my preferred tom mic is the Michael Joly modded Oktava 219PE. Similar in a lot of ways to the CAD's, but with a "woodier", more organic vibe to them. For modern sounding stuff, I'd still go to the CAD's. Cheers, bp

Back