Drum Mic Madness!!

I apologize up front for the blurry pics. Not sure what was going on with my camera....

Here's a shot of the inside Kick mic placement. You can also see it in some of the previous pics. Right now it's got a Shure Beta52 on it. Placement was about 5 inches inside the hole, pointed at the beater.

01InsideKickMic.jpg

Outside of Kick. There's a sputnik on it right now.... All outside of kick mics were in Fig8 mode and about 3-4" off the front head.

07OutsideKickMic.jpg

Another outside of kick pic. Sputnik again.

08OutsideKickMic2.jpg

Normally there was a Sennheiser 441 on the kick.

23FrontofKit.jpg

More to come......

OK. Next up are some snare / HH pics:

This shot shows my normal snare setup. One mic on the top and another on the side - about 2-3" off the shell and towards the bottom. We've got a 57 on the top and an i5 on the side right now - the normal setup when testing other drums during this shootout.

02SnareMics.jpg

Over Craig's L shoulder you can see the 451 placement on the Hat and the top snare mic. Right now it's a 57.

03SnareHHMics.jpg

Right over the TOP of the snare :

06OverTheSnare.jpg

The Snare Mic Victims. Abused with EXTREMELY high spl's.....

09SnareCandidates.jpg

Still more comin'............

OK. Some pics of the hat & toms.

Here's a good shot of the Hats with Craig in action. Right now it's got a 451 angled a bit away from the snare.

27Craig2-under.jpg

The contenders for the HH mic :

10HiHatCandidates.jpg

Tom mics from the drummers perspective. Right now they've got CAD M177's on them.

04TomMics.jpg

Blurry, from the front of the kit :

05tomMics.jpg

Beautiful Turquoise Toms, eh???

22BeautifulFinish.jpg

Sennheiser 421's on the toms. It's tough to get these under and between the cymbals sometimes :

24FrontofKitwOverheads.jpg

More coming......

Right about this time, I realized that the beautifully dressed wires and all around the studio and carefully set aside mics were long gone. Drum sessions get SO messy.....heh

15Mess1.jpg

16Mess2.jpg

17MicrophoneMess.jpg

18Mess3.jpg

OK here's a shot of the overheads. Gefell M71S's. I've got them fairly high, but the room sounds great - 24'X18'X12' with angled walls (bottom to top) and angled 12' ceiling - so I like to let the kit breathe a bit.

12Overheads.jpg

25OverheadShot.jpg

Here you can see half the room. This room doubles as my home theater/lounge (hence the big screen) as well as live recording envrionment. It was purpose designed and built with audio in mind. (The inspector thought I was out of my mind with the angles, double walls, HUGE conduit for wire pulls, etc.......heh)

19HalftheRoom.jpg

Craig doing what he does best....

26Craig1.jpg

That's it for right now....

Have you guys figured out which mics are which yet?????????

bp

drBill, you are the man! :D Thanks for all the great pics. Just one more quick question: how do you have the toms panned? They sound great in the stereo image.

Oh, and FWIW, I think kick drum one is much punchier than the others.

I thought I'd drop in some of my thoughts before revealing the results, although most of you are going to figure out a bunch of them after hearing my thoughts. Still for the final reveal, I'm going to wait until Craig can rate them for us. For those of you who did the listening..... kfhkhkfhkh

When auditioning these, I tend to go with my first impressions and run with it. Like I said earlier, good instrument, good player - and it's hard to go wrong.

For the inside kicks, there were a lot of surprises for me. One was an old standby that seldom sees any use anymore - #1. I thought it full bodied, but still "clicky". #2 surprised me. A popular "referal" on GS. Too thin for me. I think it needed a different placement. In terms of me finding something that I can mold and sculpt into what I want exactly - I think #4 gives me the most raw material. I believe this is Craig's fav. Sounds most like the kick in the room. I've been using mic #5 for quite awhile. I'm still happy with it's sound. It's pretty funny when you hear the mic solo'd by itself isn't it!!

Outside kick - i could use any of these and get what I wanted. During the session #4 was a clear standout to craig and I. I think maybe it's down in level a bit and that's why no one is choosing it. The bottom on that mic is TIGHT!!! With Kick #2 who needs a subkick! heh If I wanted huge bottom, I'd probably choose #5 as it's a little more "controlled" than 3. The tube mics really "bloom" out and get phat on the low end. Poor #1, a venerable 30 year classic for this application. :-) I still like it, but it's not my first choice. Really, any of these mics have the goods. You can easily tell they don't have the "sculpted" EQ curves that the dynamic (inside) purpose built kick mics have.

Hi Hats. I gotta agree with Junior. #2 has a sweetness up top. Not too bright, but easily brightened up if needed. #1 is a studio staple for HH's. #3 had a cool "distant" vibe. It's obvious that it's the "ribbon" of the bunch. One of these days I'm going to use it and break out the EQ!! #4 has a weird ringy HF overtone that I don't like, but I've used it many times on dull sounding hats to good effect. I almost sold mic#5. It's thin, but often a nice sound. I'm going to keep it, unless Craig steals it from me.... Mic6 has a nice colored crunchy sound. Well, maybe crunch is the wrong word. With the OH's that were up, I don't think I would use this mic, but solo'd I really like it and would definately use it. Upon second listening it was obvious to me that 7 & 8 were LDC's. They just aren't as "fast" as the SDC's. For better or worse.

Snares. #1 is often my go to mic - a politer version of #3. #2 carries some weight doesn't it? I'd go to that for big ballads. #3 - the reigning king of RAWK. For good reason I think. I've wandered all over the map on snare mics, and I do believe I'll be coming back to my roots next time around!! #4 is nice. maybe too nice?? Jazz or ballads would be a good call for this one I think. Not my first choice, but a great mic. #5 - thinner and more rejection. Just what's needed sometimes. I use it alot for side of snare. #6 - open and constricted at the same time??? That was my opinion. #7 - fast, open, bright. A winner in my book. And an unbelieveable bargain. #8 - big daddy!!!! :-) Probably need the pad in as it's on the edge of blowing up. This mic will not go in front of MOST drummers for fear of it being destroyed, but it was cool!!! I totally dig #09. Tube compression on the snare!!!! I'd pad this one down next time also though.... Sorry about #10. I think it's a solid, solid candidate right alongside #7. (Both SDC's)

Toms:
Stick definition and Bloom on the bottom - that's what I'm after. #1 has it in spades!!! kfhkh #2. Barely OK. Kinda "flappy" for me. #3 - I might pull these out for a jazz record and try them. Pretty retro sounding. #4 - a solid contender. Not as much stick definition as 1, not as much bloom as 5, but a good blend. If it wasn't a tom heavy piece of music and was very busy - they could be the call. #5 a solid call. Just not my first call anymore. #6 - Richards favorite if I recall. Very affordable. Nice balance of stick vs bloom. Definately useable - especially where the tom's don't need to "cut" so much, although I'm sure EQ could get them cutting. #7 - nice call for ballads or Steve Gad type sparce / open fills. An expensive option though, but one that has probably more "EQ potential" than most of the other options. Solid. I'd like to try #8 with 421's on the bottom heads - THAT just might be the ultimate. Great stick definition and articulation, but not enough on the bottom for me. 421's on the bottom though with those and look out!!!!!!

Overheads -

ugh, I know this is going to be dificult. A lot of personal taste seems to come into play here.
Some like #1. Those USED to be my goto OH's. They are inexpensive and have a nice large "size" to them, but I don't like the imaging as much as I used to. #2 - I WANTED to like these mics SOOOOO much. They were so bottomy that I put in the HPF. Then they were too thin. EQ may salvage them, but that's a different session. Can't go wrong with#3 used on tons of records. Sounds like I have some phase issues going on tough which is strange as their placement is the same. Maybe one got bumped??? #4 another great. Sweeter than #3 for me though. Used on a zillion records.

#5 - ATTITUDE. That's what I'm talkin' about!!! My favorite.

#6 - nice, balanced. Not too agressive, balanced. Great! Very cool on the cymbals. #7 - Nice retro sound. Again, studio staple. #8 - Cymbal TAMER!! but still nice open sound. Just begging for some EQ. With EQ this is a serious contender. Serious meat going on there. #09 - Same mic as #2 but in fig8. I'm not giving up on this mic yet!!!! #10. OK. I think I'm getting spoiled by now.... heh #11 - same mic as #6 but in a different position. I like the #6 position better. #12 - same mic as#7 but in fig8. I like 7 better. #13 - you guys seem to like this one. I can't argue. Great imaging. Great balance. WYHIWYG - what you hear is what you get. Not much hype - just the facts! I'll be using this mic more!!! #14 I'm not a big mono OH guy although I know some of you are that's why I did it. A solid contender. Wish I'd run this one in Stereo, but I;ve had a PS cable go missing.... #15 - what a GREAT sound. I REALLY wish I had two of these mics. Love the snare. Man....crying now. "Hey honey can I borrow a couple thou...., I just need ONE more mic" LOL #16 - This mic gets recommended constantly on GS for OH. Wish I had two....

OK - Off to Room Mics now. For those who missed my "method" and WHY I was point the NULL at the kit instead of the direct capsule at the kit, see my response above to Xenon.

#1 - mr Retro. Great vibe. #2 Nice, but a little too "midrangey" for my tastes on the room. Could be good for some songs with big bottom though. #3 There is a new sherrif in town. And he's got the goods. Big bottom, great mid definition, smooth top - my fav!! #4 - I tell ya, I'm gonna like this mic no matter what I have to do. :-) A little to much definition for my tastes in this application. #5 - too bright for me. #6 - OK - too bright. #7 - Interesting. Good balance. #8 - "the King" in stereo. Need to play with the placement a bit I think. Only so so here. #9 - My wannalike mic with the null facing the drums. Ick #10 - Same mic - cardiod - facing the drums this time. Getting better....but..... #11 - For those of you who prefered a stereo room image just a little further back than the OH's, this seemed to be the fav. me? I'm going back to #3.

OK. That's it for now....

Any thoughts??

bp

DB,

I am on overload a bit.
As I listen to each mic, I hear some familiar sounds and some unfamiliar.
By now I am lost.
I should have downloaded them all to listen in the studio over my nice monitors.

I seem to like the same sort of sounds you do. I am interested to hear what your favs are and I will download those to compare what I get in my own studio.

I just received my new top of the line Ayotte custom Maple drum set and am tweaking the tuning to where I like it. I am getting ready to do some test recordings and might see if any of your surprise mic combos I may have to try out along side the ol' standards.

DB,

I am on overload a bit.
As I listen to each mic, I hear some familiar sounds and some unfamiliar.
By now I am lost.
I should have downloaded them all to listen in the studio over my nice monitors.

I seem to like the same sort of sounds you do. I am interested to hear what your favs are and I will download those to compare what I get in my own studio.

I just received my new top of the line Ayotte custom Maple drum set and am tweaking the tuning to where I like it. I am getting ready to do some test recordings and might see if any of your surprise mic combos I may have to try out along side the ol' standards.

POST THEM when your done please!

-Barrett

Thanks so much for doing this, i joined the forums about 4 days ago while actually looking for advice on which mics to get for toms and this was my perfect overdriven answer! As i await the results I'm really pullin for tom mic #1 i thought they had some beef and body on them, I was curious which one was the i5 because i have used those in the past but couldn't pin point which of your files those were used in, but once i hear the results I'm hoping i can make some purchases!
Thanks a pants full
-Barrett:D

Last edited:
Bear in mind that I'm listening through laptop speakers, mostly off the MP3s, and I'm focusing not just on the sound of on instrument but also what it does to the tone of the other instruments. If I were listening just for one instrument, I would probably make very different choices.

My preference in order:

INSIDE KICK:
4 & 5 (no preference)
2 & 3 (no preference)

OUTSIDE KICK:

Didn't like any of them, but 4 was okay. I think the outer head may be too loose for outside kick miking; the sound seemed really flappy to me.

HAT:

I found #1 to do more for improving the sound of the rest of the kit than the others. The others were all pretty similar in the MP3s. Will listen again, this time with the WAVs.

Okay, I hear a lot more difference this time. The big thing I hear is how much effect they have on the snare sound. #3 does the most damage with its hefty bump in the upper mids/lower highs. #6 has too much stick noise for my taste on the closed hats. With a little treble roll-off, it would probably come in just above #8.

2 & 5

SNARE:

2 & 3

TOMS:

I have mixed feelings here. In terms of capturing the kit accurately (tuning at all), my order is different than if I were going for the best sound. Since throwing away such truth tends to so often be a requirement for a tom mic, though, I'm going to give my order based on the final sound rather than based on "truth".

2 & 3

On the others, there are simply too many mics in too many placements, none of them in my preferred X/Y, and it takes too long to even compare a handful. If you break the lists up into separate lists per placement, I might listen through some of them, but it's just too hard to try to rank that many samples with any accuracy at all. :)

Last edited:
OK guys,

Here's the mic's used in the shootout:

Hi Hats
HH01 AKG C451E.wav
HH02 Neumann KM84.wav
HH03 Apex 205MJ.wav
HH04 MXL 604-603-991.wav
HH05 AT 3528.wav
HH06 Gefell 692-M70.wav
HH07 Gefell UM70.wav
HH08 AKG 414B-ULS.wav

Kicks (Inside)
iKick01 AKG D112.wav
iKick02 Audix D6.wav
iKick03 EV 635A.wav
iKick04 Sennheiser 441.wav
iKick05 Shure Beta52.wav
iKick06 Sennheiser 421.wav
iKick07 Shure SM57.wav

Kicks (Outside)
oKick01 Neumann U87 Fig8.wav
oKick02 M-Audio Sputnik Fig8.wav
oKick03 AKG C414B-ULS Fig8.wav
oKick04 Gefell UM70 Fig8.wav
oKick05 Groove Tubes AM62 Fig8.wav

Snare (Top)
Sn01 Audix i5.wav
Sn02 Sennheiser 421.wav
Sn03 Shure SM57.wav
Sn04 Sennheiser 441.wav
Sn05 BeyerDynamic M201.wav
Sn06 AKG C451E.wav
Sn07 MXL 991(604-603).wav
Sn08 Neumann KM84.wav
Sn09 Groove Tubes AM62.wav
Sn10 Gefell 692-M70.wav

Toms (Top)
Toms01 CAD M177.wav
Toms02 Shure SM57.wav
Toms03 Neumann KM84.wav
Toms04 Audix i5.wav
Toms05 Sennheiser 421.wav
Toms06 MXL 604-603-991.wav
Toms07 AKG414-NeumannU87.wav
Toms08 GefellUM70-M71.wav

Overheads
OH01 MXL V69ME Card.wav
OH02 M-Audio Sputnik Card HPF.wav
OH03 AKG C451E Card.wav
OH04 Neumann KM84 Card.wav
OH05 Gefell M71S Card.wav
OH06 Cascade X-15 Top Pos Blum.wav
OH07 AKG C414B-ULS Card.wav
OH08 Apex 205MJ Fig8.wav
OH09 M-Audio Sputnik Fig8 HPF.wav
OH10 Gefell 692-M70 Card.wav
OH11 Cascade X-15 Front Pos Blum.wav
OH12 AKG C414B-ULS Fig8.wav
OH13 Cascade X-15 Rear Pos Blum.wav
OH14 GrooveTubes AM62 MONO Card.wav
OH15 Neumann U87 MONO Card.wav
OH16 Cascade Fathead II MONO Fig8.wav

Room
Room00 Drums-No Room.wav
Room01 Neumann U87 Mono Card.wav
Room02 Cascade Fathead II Mono Fig8.wav
Room03 Apex 205MJ Mono Fig8wav.wav
Room04 M-Audio Sputnik Mono Card.wav
Room05 Gefell M71S Mono Card.wav
Room06 MXL V3 Mono Card.wav
Room07 GrooveTubes AM62 Mono Card.wav
Room08 Apex 205MJ Stereo Fig8 Null.wav
Room09 M-Audio Sputnik Stereo Fig8 Null.wav
Room10 M-Audio Sputnik Stereo Card.wav
Room11 Cascade X-15 Stereo Front.wav

Hahah my favorite tom mic was the Cad M177!! Would have never guessed that guy gave such a beautiful tom sound. Amazing. I couldn't believe what a wide sound you get from the 991 on the snare! I would never expect that out of a marshall mic. Great job guys, killer set too.

Thanks again for doing all this
-Barrett

Last edited:
Barrett - you're welcome. The 177 is discontinued, but you can the the 179 (actually better with a multi pattern capsule) from full compass for $129 or so.

BTW, the 177 was my favorite tom mic as well. Also Craig's favorite. A nice blend of articulation and tone with no EQ needed usually.

Back