Does Rode make a stereo condenser mike

JBFdrums

I've heard a lot of good things about these mikes...
I'm looking into getting a Roland VS1680 to record in my small practice space. (Drums)

I plan on getting an SM-57 for my snare and an AKG 112 for my bass drum. I'd like to get a stereo overhead to capture the rest of the set... any thoughts???
Thanks, Jeff

No they don't. Your best bet is to buy a matched pair of small diaphragm condensors and use those as overheads - this option would certainly be the a lot more versatile then buying a stereo mic.

I wonder though how well two Nt-3s would "match" up together. I guess it would not matter all that much if you were able to invert the phase one one of them. Or maybe I'm off basis with the whole concept of A "matched Pair" of mics. Can somebody explian? I was just under the impression that a matched pair would have less problems with being out of phase. Or is ther more to it? (and of course there always is!)

-jhe

Copperman, What do you think of shure's BG 4.1's as a stereo miking set? unless I miss posts on them,Which is extremely possible, they are not mentioned much around here.

Hot Rocks... never used them but I doubt you could get a matched pair.

James HE... you know how there's been quite a bit of talk here lately about inconsistancies in some NT1's...well the idea of having a matched pair is to overcome such inconsistancies... it doesn't really have anything to do with phase because that's more a mic placement issue.

Imagine if you bought two identical mics... due to manufacturing inconsistancies one mic may accentuate certain fequencies more than the other or whatever... the idea of getting factory matched mics is that then when using them as a stereo pair there is less of a difference in sound between the two mics. For stereo micing applications you need your two mics to be as near as possible to another in the sound that they produce. I don't know if you can get matched NT3's... you'd have to email them to find out.

Interesting....Then fom the standpoint of captureing reality in the sense of what is actually being played/heard,would it be fair to say using one mic, like a small condensor,panning to the center of your recorder,captureing 2 tracks would be preferred over using two different Mics placed apart?

Wow.. thanks for the responses!!! I think I have to do my homework...
I have a friend who used 1 Rode NT1 as an overhead but that doesn't capture stereo so you end up with a mono-split of your drums!

[This message has been edited by JBFdrums (edited 07-21-2000).]

Ok, Thanks for the explaination Cooperman.

I have an NT1 (dosen't every body?? :)) which I have been using for an overhead (among other things) I 'd like to get a pair. I'm not particularly happy with the way the NT1 as an overhead (I like it on everything else especially vocals and micing a bass cab, about 2.5 feet away, facing the tweeter, ummm......) So I don't want to get another just for that purpose. I'm thinking about getting an NT3 or maybe a C1000 and using that and the NT1 for now. (and if I can squeeze it out of my budget) Has anyone ever tried a large+small configuration for stereo micing? I want a small diaphragm mic for micing my acoustic- The NT1 alone hasen't thrilled me so much in that department either :( So I'm thinking that it might be worth it to try a nice small diaphragm.

-jhe

Back