Do Condenser Mic work like dynamic one if the gain is too low?

Like I said before, if he has the Mic in front of his mouth and the guitar still drowns it out, either he is singing too quietly, or he is singing into the wrong part of the mic.

Last edited:
I am sorry to be an 'I told you so' but this thread lends credence to my plea to noobs NOT to buy single mic input* AIs!

Even recording just ac'guitar, two mics do a vastly better job than one (and often the combination of capacitor and dynamic works well I understand?)
If you watch guys and gals on telly singing and playing guitar I doubt you will EVER see just one microphone!

*Maybe ok for the 'Podists' but for anyone making MUSIC get two pre-amps!

Heh! On 'singer guitarists' for the craic I pulled up Joan Armatrading on the Tube. 'Down to Zero' she is a good foot off the mic at all times but still as clear as crystal and punchy as hell. With a 4(?) piece backup that is SOME voice that gal's got! Couldadone Opera.

Dave.

Last edited:
I don't understand.
Why..? Compression? Reducing dynamic range makes a problem like this worse.
And you're buying in to the 'dynamic mic' being a solution?

well I watched a video and the dynamic made sense due to not recording the room and some separation from a better off axis rejection. of course thats one approach (and will probably require better preamps.)

if the acoustic is electric DI, then turn it down. get the vocal volume then bring up the guitar and adjust the headphone setting.
see what happens.

maybe get a channel strip with preamp, noisegate, comp, and eq....get the vocal mic worked out.
I think thats what i was saying.

Like I said before, if he has the Mic in front of his mouth and the guitar still drowns it out, either he is singing too quietly, or he is singing into the wrong part of the mic.

theres a few simple videos on recording vocal and acoustic-guitar. so to be needing more specific help maybe more info is needed.

mic positioning and finding the right position where the guitar and vocal are where they should be.

Im wondering if the mic is backwards or pointed down?

But just speaking into the vocal mic without a guitar would be the first thing to set the gain with, sing into the mic set the volume etc...then bring in the guitar, play softer.

something seems to be missing? Ive never heard a microphone that can record a classical guitar but not a voice?

... Well I watched a video and the dynamic made sense due to not recording the room and some separation from a better off axis rejection. of course thats one approach ..
I'd just counter that quite often in these scenarios the dynamic mics, partly as they're designed and partly as they are used, the vocalist may work a mic closer than they would with a condenser.
True though many 'dynamic (i.e. live style) mics can have much tighter polar patterns than the typical cardioid studio condenser. So they can also have that going for them.
But then, their's mics like the KSM-9HS :>)

http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/2279/ksm9hs-user-guide-english.pdf

Condensers will not record the room if you put them 2 inches away from the source and adjust the level accordingly.

Yes, if you plug in a 57 and a condesner and set them at the same level on the preamp, the condenser will pick up more. But that is because a typical condenser puts out 20-30db more signal than a typical dynamic. If you put both mics in the same spot and adjust the recording levels of each appropriately, they will both pick up more or less the same amount of the room.

Back