DIY Mic Cables

I did not DO that!
The forum has been weird for me for a few days. When I post a reply often it just sits there but a small box with text in it appears, bottom left of the reply bock. If I leave it alone, it never completes. I hit Refresh and it does.

This time it happened and I moved the mouse (well, trackpad) a mm or so and the BLURP! The double post appeared.

Dave. This time the narrow box appeared but the post completed in a second or so.

Last edited:
Note to noobs. IF you are contemplating a big batch you will need a quick, reliable tester not just for continuity but also "phase". The latter you can get wrong (especially after several beers!).

Thanks for the tip, mate. I assume a phase issue on an XLR would occur if one were to accidentally crosswire the hot & cold pins, yes? Or is it something more sinister??

Note to noobs. IF you are contemplating a big batch you will need a quick, reliable tester not just for continuity but also "phase". The latter you can get wrong (especially after several beers!).
You can buy a tester but it is a good intellectual 'tronics project to make one.
I have designed a processor-controlled simple, fast smart audio cable tester. In a moment it displays by one a few LEDs if a XLR/Jack/RCA (also a mix of them) is ok or phase inverting or unbalanced or defective and what is the problem.
It can also detect momentary faults and display them for a second. It also shows xlr case connection. There are also a 3-state battery meter and a self-resetting power saver.

Do you think someone could produce and sell it? I wrote to Behringer, but they didn't answer.
How many people would buy it? Only a few?

It seems it doesn't exist something like that. I've found in internet only a very simple project similar to mine. Could anyone have a patent for the project, but no one is interested in producing it?

Been working so a bit late. It's fine to wrap the connector ends with heat shrink to increase the diameter, and of course, stick a label under, but I just don't like thinner cable. It doesn't have the weight to make it lay properly. I've got a couple of multicores that have 'drum ends' - the sheath stripped off and cables cut to the drum setup, so the end fans out. It save lots of time cabling up drum kits live, but does suffer from damage - the thinner cable, and the thinner jacket get snagged and nick easily. I've found a supplier who sells 8 way 10m multis for really silly money, so I have two spares on the shelf, and when the next one gets damaged more than a bit of tape can repair, in the bin they go, and I move on. The cheap XLRs are pretty good, but the shells a bit too thick making them jam in the sockets, but for the price ........

Back