Discontinued microphones you wish they didn't..

Pub Style

You Are The Walrus
The ATM61HE, I have two of these. They are pretty versatile and I prefer them to a 58 for live vocals as they are a little more on the crisp side. They look good too. I don't know when they discontinued these beauts, or why, but I like them and I got the set for $200. on clearance.

6131_sq.jpg

If this thread sucks, my apologies. It's my first one.

Haha...Not bad for a first thread. ;)
I've never heard of those mics so thanks for sharing.

I have four Electrovoice Do54 mics that I've never seen anywhere.
They're omni dynamics and I really like them, but I've never even seen on on ebay (except the four I bought).

Actually, the AKG D12 is worthy of a second post.

Those were some loved mics and are still sought after.
They have a weakness where the diaphragm and coil can move slightly due to their design and the main symptom is usually bass loss due to the coil rubbing or being obstructed, but it can be realigned if you're careful.
Not sure if that design was the reason but so many of them ended up with broken coil wires rendering them totally useless.
For a while AKG had spares for sale and I think they even did a late re-run of them but that's completely dried up now and a dead one's just a paperweight.

I have a mint one that I'm holding onto very tightly.

Actually, the AKG D12 is worthy of a second post.

That's a great mic.

I don't know if EV makes the RE-11 anymore, but I have an old one and it's great. The old (1960s?) vintage Shure Unidyne IIIs are great, too. Better than SM57 imo.
Also a lot of discontinued harp mics are great for special effect, distortion, or intimacy on certain songs.

Ah yeah, I think I saw you mention the re11 in an other thread recently.
I've had one for at least 5 years now and, for some reason, still haven't used it.
Well...I think I might have used it on snare once. I should try it for vocals. :)

The ATM61HE, I have two of these. They are pretty versatile and I prefer them to a 58 for live vocals as they are a little more on the crisp side. They look good too. I don't know when they discontinued these beauts, or why, but I like them and I got the set for $200. on clearance.

View attachment 98478

If this thread sucks, my apologies. It's my first one.

I think the ATMxxHE mics were unappreciated before they were discontinued. I have a pair of ATM27HE mics and they're smooth, hot, round-sounding and clear, like a modded SM58. I replaced it as my stage vocal mic only to have matched SM58's for the sound tech.

A mic that I'm sad to see off the market is the Naiant MSH-4, possibly the world's smallest (omni) tube mic, and it used to go for only $70. It can have some handling noise but it has such a sweet, true response that you can imagine the track is still being recorded live while you're listening during playback. Naiant does have DIY plans on its website if you want to build your own.

Paj
8^)

Back