digitor mics...

esteveno

hey have any of you heard of digitor microphones? ive found this mic its called a digitor c1537 and it costs $80 ($40 u.s)
and its got:
Frequency response: 40 - 15,000 HZ
Impedance: 500 +/- 30%
Sensitivity: -76dB +/- 3dB

is this a good microphone?
i've seen more expensive microphones with a lower impedance... like shure sm57... is it better to have low impedance? what difference does it make?? why is the sky blue? why is the grass green?

these are my questions...

............i hope they will find answers

.....someday

thankyou for your time.

esteveno said:
hey have any of you heard of digitor microphones? ive found this mic its called a digitor c1537 and it costs $80 ($40 u.s)
and its got:

Frequency response: 40 - 15,000 HZ
Not great response, but impossible to tell without more details, like a +/- figure.

Impedance: 500 +/- 30%
Pretty wide deviation for a microphone; it means the impedance will be anywhere from 350 ohms to 650 ohms, a wide tolerance.

Sensitivity: -76dB +/- 3dB
That's a VERY low output spec with a wide deviation. -79dB (worst case) would take a hell of a preamp to bring it up to a usable level.

is this a good microphone?
Not very good, judging from those specs.

i've seen more expensive microphones with a lower impedance... like shure sm57... is it better to have low impedance?
It's not better or worse; it can make a big difference when you connect it to the mixer or a mic preamp.

what difference does it make??
An impedance mismatch can cause problems with levels, high frequency response, and low frequency response.

why is the sky blue?
All the colors in white light have different wavelengths. Red light has the longest wavelength. The wavelength of blue light is about half that of red light. This difference in wavelength causes blue light to be scattered nearly ten times more than red light. Lord Rayleigh studied this phenomena in detail. It is caused the "Tyndall effect" or "Rayleigh scattering".

Lord Rayleigh also calculated that even without smoke and dust in the atmosphere, the oxygen and nitrogen molecules would still cause the sky to appear blue because of scattering.

When blue light waves try to go straight through an oxygen and nitrogen molecules, its light is scattered in all directions because of this collision. This scattered blue light is what makes the sky blue. All other colors (with longer wavelengths than blue light) are scattered too. Blue light's short wavelength causes it to be scattered the most. (The shorther the wavelength of the color, the more that color gets scattered by the atmosphere)

Actually, violet has the shortest wavelength of all colors. Violet is scattered even more than blue light. However, our eyes are much more sensitive to blue light than violet light, therefore we see the sky as blue.

why is the grass green?

chlorophyll in the plants aborb the other light wave lengths, refecting back light which our eyes see as the color green.

these are my questions...

............i hope they will find answers

.....someday

thankyou for your time.

I thought the sky was blue because it was a reflection of the sea.

Then why is the sea blue?

Because it is a reflection of the sky.

Thats what my dad told me, and I'm sticking with it. :p

JohnWaynesTeeth said:
I thought the sky was blue because it was a reflection of the sea.

Then why is the sea blue?

Because it is a reflection of the sky.

Thats what my dad told me, and I'm sticking with it. :p
There are two reasons for the color of the sea; both of them contribute to the answer.

A. The sea reflects the sky.

You have probably noticed that the sea is not very blue-looking when the sky is overcast. Water reflects and scatters the light that strikes it; this is shown by the fact that you can see your reflection in puddles. When the sky is brilliant blue, the sea is also, because it reflects the blue of the sky.

B. The sea refracts light just as the sky does.

Blue light is more easily bent, or refracted, than red light; thus, light refracted back from the surface of the sea appears blue. Furthermore, when you are underwater the water around you appears blue because more blue light is scattered back to your eye than red light.

Bowisc said:
Harvey,

Why is why why? ;)

Bowisc
That's not as silly a question as it first sounds.

Over the years, some words are shortened or meanings change. Look at the word "awful", which originally meant "full of awe". That's why a sentence like "That's an awfully pretty sunset" still coexists with it's other meaning of "That was terrible".

Other words (like "through" to "thru", "although" to "tho", or "good bye" to "bye") get shortened over the years, sometimes preserving the original meaning, sometimes not.

"Why" comes from the Old Engish word "hwi" (meaning for what purpose or by what means), which in turn, comes from "hwæt" (the original form of "what"), which came from the Proto-Germanic. "khwi", and that came from the Indo-European "qwei", locative of "qwo" (which means "who.")

Who, what, where, and why all came from this early Indo-European language. A lot of people today simply use the question "Huh?" to replace all those words.

The Indo-European language (which is the basis for most languages) originated around 5,500 years ago.

Harvey, I'm glad to see another person shares my interests in both recording and languages (modern and ancient).

Whoopysnorp said:
Harvey, I'm glad to see another person shares my interests in both recording and languages (modern and ancient).
Eytomology (the history of words) has always interested me. Now if I could just find out where "gobos" (the movable isolation panels put up to isolate musicians) came from, I'd be happy.

Can I borrow your brain for a week or so...? I'd just like to know what it's like to be smart... :p

:D

WATYF

WATYF said:
Can I borrow your brain for a week or so...? I'd just like to know what it's like to be smart... :p
:D
Sure, you can borrow it; these days, I hardly use it at all. At 65, when somebody asks my name, I now hafta take out my driver's license to answer the question.

Harvey Gerst said:

B. The sea refracts light just as the sky does.

Blue light is more easily bent, or refracted, than red light; thus, light refracted back from the surface of the sea appears blue. Furthermore, when you are underwater the water around you appears blue because more blue light is scattered back to your eye than red light.

Light refracts as it passes from one medium to another, light isn't refracted as it bounces off of the surface of the water. Do you mean refracted light that then reflects off of the sea floor?

JohnWaynesTeeth said:
Light refracts as it passes from one medium to another, light isn't refracted as it bounces off of the surface of the water. Do you mean refracted light that then reflects off of the sea floor?
No, it's refracted, diffused, scattered, and reflected back thru the water, again refracting, so that it appears very blue.

Closer to shore, the sky's light is reflected from the sandy bottom, and the double refraction makes the water look greener.

(backing towards the door) allright, we don't want any trouble :D

Just seeing if you knew what you were talking about or if you were blindly cutting and pasting ... wink, wink.

I think becoming a junior member has gone to my head.

Yeah Yeah, sure sure, blue sky, green sea...what I really want to know is how they get those metal ships to float in the water. Did I mention how the heat is really bad here in New Jersey..
You guys are great. Love to read this stuff. Keep up the good work.

zbert said:
what I really want to know is how they get those metal ships to float in the water.

It's the principle of displacement. If the volume of water displaced by the boat weighs more than the boat, than the boat will float. If not, the boat will sink. Those metal boats are really mostly empty boxes of air. If you were to construct a boat shaped object made of completely solid metal, it would, without question, sink like a stone.

Oops, sorry... is only Harvey allowed to answer these questions? :(

littledog said:

It's the principle of displacement. If the volume of water displaced by the boat weighs more than the boat, than the boat will float. If not, the boat will sink. Those metal boats are really mostly empty boxes of air. If you were to construct a boat shaped object made of completely solid metal, it would, without question, sink like a stone.

Oops, sorry... is only Harvey allowed to answer these questions? :(
Hey, I'm just a member here, not a moderator, or a whiz kid. Some of this stuff interests me and I try to answer when I know something about the subject. I'm still not too old to learn new stuff from anybody that I can learn from.

Back