The difficult third album is complete - thanks everyone!

Armistice

Son of Yoda
A quick note to say thanks to all those who gave advice on my long journey towards the birth of my 3rd CD, which I picked up from the manufacturer yesterday.

I could have kept working on it for longer, but at some point you have to stop and get on with life.

So thanks to everyone who answered questions, provided information etc., particularly about microphones and recording acoustic guitars. I got there in the end.

That would include such luminaries as:

Ausrock (copy in the mail on its way up north to you Aus)
Blue Bear
Track Rat
Richard Monroe
Gidge
Sonusman
Harvey
Light
DJL
Middleman
The Chess Bros. Rock and Parov

and a whole heap of other people who have knowingly or unknowingly helped out and whose names I don't currently have. I gave the bbs a credit in the liner notes to cover all of you. See you round!

Cheers

Great to hear.............I look forward to it's arrival.

Now start saving for this Desertburst Les Paul I have here that still has your name on it :D :D

BTW, have you heard of Stephen Bennett........plays a harp guitar.

:cool:

Given current sales, that might be some way off Aus! :) Still, it's early days. The name you mentioned seems vaguely familiar, but I'm not sure why - and what's a harp guitar?

Be in your mailbox tonight I would imagine..

Armistice, that is way cool... and you're more than welcome. I'm glad all of us were able to help. Take care and have fun.

Thank you for your kind words. If there is anything I have shared with you that was helpful, I'm honored. PM me with a link, and maybe I'll buy the puppy.-Richie

David,

Take a bow, you deserve it. :)

I'll try and get time tonight to compare the finished product against the "roughs" you sent me all those months ago.

BTW, I love the liner design..............and YES, I did read the story on the back and many thanks for the specific mention in the liner notes, it means more than I can easily explain here.

ChrisO

Edit: P.S. If you wish I will host 2 or 3 of the pieces on NoWhereradio for you..........just let me know which ones to use and it's done, that way the guys here can have a listen.

Thanks Aus - please destroy the roughs after you've finished listening to them! - did a bit more tracking, bit more mixing, shouldn't be anything too different I don't think. And you're entirely welcome on the liner notes thing - that perspective you gave on my acoustic sound not being as bad as I thought it was was what got this album finished, I was ready to throw it in at that point.

If you could put up In A Heartbeat (tr3) Birdie (tr7) and No Way Back From Here (tr12) that would be awesome - always interested in displaying my wares to the world... and getting feedback.

Richard M - you may not remember it but your specific advice was to "throw money at the problem" and you recommended an AKG 414, which I bought, and also an AKG 451, which you didn't recommend but I bought anyway and which became the main main mic with this stuff - it was having the combinations of those two v. good mics with my MXL603s and NT5s that turned the corner for me on getting what I thought was a decent sound. Ausrock reckons I was worrying about nothing though. :D Still I really liked the sounds I got with those two mics, in various combos with the others and I knew for the first time with them how to get a good sound consistently without spending hours mucking around with positioning..

Cheers

OK, for those who wish to have a listen, you will find 3 songs here.........http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4234&alid=-1

I know this is The Mic forum but I understand why this thread was started here, however, if people wish to pass comment on the recordings it is up to the individual whether they do so in this thread or start a new thread in the Mp3 Clinic on Armi's and my behalf. If a new thread is started, PLEASE leave a reference in this thread to direct people there.

Enjoy!!!

Which mics?

Armistice,

I just listened to your three songs posted here. Very nice. Which mics did you use on the acoustic guitars?

I wanted to create a thread/poll titled “One Mic to Rule Them All” where people could comment on their favorite mic but I received such little response on it for suggestions of mics to list in the poll, I gave up.

Would the AKG 414 be your favorite mic?

JohnnyMan said:
Armistice,

I just listened to your three songs posted here. Very nice. Which mics did you use on the acoustic guitars?

I wanted to create a thread/poll titled “One Mic to Rule Them All” where people could comment on their favorite mic but I received such little response on it for suggestions of mics to list in the poll, I gave up.

Would the AKG 414 be your favorite mic?
Here's some mics for your poll.

A
AEA R84 ribbon mic
Altec 150A
Altec 636
Altec Tube
Altec Salt Shaker 639B
AKG C12
AKG C24
AKG C422
AKG C414 B-ULS
AKG C414EB
AKG C451L
AKG C 451E
AKG C452L
AKG C452 EB
AKG C460B
AKG D12
AKG D12E
AKG D112
AKG Solid-Tube
Audio-tech AT25
Audio-Technica 4033
Audio-Technica AT4040
Audio-Technica AT4050
Audio-Technica AT4060
Audix D6

B
Beyerdynamic M88
Beyerdynamic M201
Beyer Dynamic M160
BLUE Dragonfly
Brauner Valvet Voice
Brauner VM1 Klaus Heyne Edition

C
CAD VSM-1 tube condenser
CAD M179
Coles Ribbon 4038's
Crown PZM 30R13

E
Earthworks TC30K
Earthworks M30K omni condensers Matched-Pair
Electro-Voice RE20
Electro-Voice RE-15
Electro-Voice PL20

J
Josephson C42MP

L
Langevin CR 3A

M
Marshall Electronics MXL-603S
Marshall Electronics MXL-V67G
Marshall Electronics MXL-V69M
Marshall Electronics MXL-V77M

N
Neumann U-47 Tube
Neumann U-47 FET
Neumann U-48
Neumann U-64 Tube
Neumann U-67 Tube
Neumann U-87a
Neumann U-87i
Neumann U-89
Neumann M 49
Neumann M-147 Tube
Neumann M-149 Tube
Neumann M249 Tube
Neumann KM -56c
Neumann KM-83
Neumann KM-84
Neumann KM-85
Neumann KM-86i
Neumann KM-184
TLM 103
TLM 170
TLM 193

O
Oktava MC-012
Oktava MC-319

R
RCA 44BX
RCA 77-DX
Royer R-121 Ribbon mic

S
Sanken CU 41
Sennheiser E602
Sennheiser E609
Sennheiser MD421
Sennheiser MD441
Shoeps 201
Shoeps CMC5-U
Shoeps CMC6
Shure SM-7
Shure SM57
Shure SM81
Shure SM 81-LC (2)
Shure KSM44
Shure Beta 52
Sony C-48
Sony C-37P
Sony C-536P
Sony C-55
Sony C-500
Sony C-800
Sony ECM-22P
Sony ECM-50
Sony ECM-55
Sony ECM-50
Sony ECM-55-P
Sony ECM-33F
Sony ECM-150
Sony ECM-377
Soundelux E47
Soundelux Elux 251
Soundelux U99
Studio Projects C1
Studio Projects C3
Studio Projects T3 Tube

Hi JohnnyMan

It varied, but usually the AKG451 round the neck somewhere was the basis of it, with either the 414 aiming at the bridge or an NT5 or MXL603 depending upon the condition of the strings, what I was playing etc.

The 451's my favourite mic for acoustic (from my selection, that is) - I'm sure there are other's I'd like better if I had the $!

The guitar was generally a Maton Messiah which has quite a prominent bass end to it, which, combined with proximity effect, meant a fair degree of EQ filtering at the bass end of the spectrum - especially when I'm playing with fingers instead of a pick and hitting the E string with my thumb! Often had the 414 on omni setting and quite close - gave the overall sound a bit more "wood" - it could all be a bit bright without it.

Cheers

DJL said:
Here's some mics for your poll.
DJL,

Thank you for taking the time and great effort to list all these mics. If you were to choose one, which would it be?

I was toying with the idea of maybe 3 or 4 mics per manufacturer. Does that seem reasonable? And maybe mics that fits the “good bang for the buck” category. So what would be your favorite 3 or 4 mics per manufacturer?

Armistice, I apologize. I absolutely have no intention of stealing or diverting this thread. Anyone interested in a favorite mic poll, please follow this link
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=137595

John

Armistice said:
Hi JohnnyMan

It varied, but usually the AKG451 round the neck somewhere was the basis of it, with either the 414 aiming at the bridge or an NT5 or MXL603 depending upon the condition of the strings, what I was playing etc.

The 451's my favourite mic for acoustic (from my selection, that is) - I'm sure there are other's I'd like better if I had the $!

The guitar was generally a Maton Messiah which has quite a prominent bass end to it, which, combined with proximity effect, meant a fair degree of EQ filtering at the bass end of the spectrum - especially when I'm playing with fingers instead of a pick and hitting the E string with my thumb! Often had the 414 on omni setting and quite close - gave the overall sound a bit more "wood" - it could all be a bit bright without it.

Cheers
Armistice,

Thanks for the details.

I’m still searching for that one mic that will give me that elusive “sound” that I think I am looking for. I realize a lot has to do with the room, my technique, the guitar, and mic placement but I can’t help think that there is a mic out there that will do it for me.

John

JohnnyMan said:
DJL,

Thank you for taking the time and great effort to list all these mics. If you were to choose one, which would it be?

I was toying with the idea of maybe 3 or 4 mics per manufacturer. Does that seem reasonable? And maybe mics that fits the “good bang for the buck” category. So what would be your favorite 3 or 4 mics per manufacturer?

Armistice, I apologize. I absolutely have no intention of stealing or diverting this thread. Anyone interested in a favorite mic poll, please follow this link
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=137595

John
Sorry Johnny, I don't really subscribe to the only one mic camp... oh, and you might want to add the Earthworks SR25 to the list too. :)

Back