Differences between the SM7 and SM7b

mrbowes

Does anyone know if there are any real differences between the SM7 and SM7b?

i take it the SM7 is the one not in production anymore and somewhat more collectable. i couldn't care less about how "rare" the mic is - i really want to know the sonic differences between the two, as I have been seriously thinking about buying an SM7b.

THANKS!

A friend loaned me his SM7b to check against my SM7's; there was no difference whatsoever that I could hear.

The SM7b is supposed to have better hum rejection and a better mount. The mount was better than the SM7. I couldn't hear any difference in hum.

The SM7b has a back cover plate that covers the frequency switches; the SM7's do not have the plate.

So you're saying that to use the freq switches, you have to take a cover plate off? Does that require a screwdriver, or is that something you just flip open?

Cardioidpotent said:
So you're saying that to use the freq switches, you have to take a cover plate off? Does that require a screwdriver, or is that something you just flip open?
It's held on with two screws - most people just take them off and leave them off, like the covers on old Tele's and Fender basses.

Back