Differences between Radio Shack 33-1070 dynamic mic variants.

Timpanogos Slim

Hi there. I'm new. I'm also kind of a cheapskate and I'm exploring a cul-de-sac of expression in which fidelity is not necessarily desired, that you might not recognize as music.

That being said, I do figure that if i am setting up to mic a room in stereo i should have two mics that are pretty similar to each other.

A few weeks back i bought a cheap 33-1070 but i guess all i really kept in mind about it was that it's a 33-1070 and it is black.

Last week i bought a cheap 33-1070D on ebay. It arrived today reeking of hand lotion with red lipstick on the grille.

So i put some hot water and dish soap in the ultrasonic bath, dropped the nasty grille in there set for a 20-minute ride, washed my hands, and noticed that it has a completely different element than my other mic, which turns out to be a 33-1070C.

I had read, here and over at gearslutz, and elsewhere, that the 33-1070 series differ only in the impedance of the coil. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Here's my mismatched pair:

20180324_183144.jpg

Not quite sure what you are asking but two cheap mics of differing impedance (numbers please!) and different capsules are going to be bog useless for any form of stereo. You would be better off with a set of multi-coloured Karaoke mics for $10 and pick the best two!

Tell us more!

Dave.

Not quite sure what you are asking but two cheap mics of differing impedance (numbers please!) and different capsules are going to be bog useless for any form of stereo. You would be better off with a set of multi-coloured Karaoke mics for $10 and pick the best two!

Tell us more!

Dave.

Well yeah, I thought i was buying another of the same mic. I wasn't, but they are more different than internet lore would lead one to believe.

The original 33-1070 was a 500-ohm mic, the C is 300 ohms and the D is 200 ohms. So the catalogs say. not sure about the B. But the lore was that despite different coil impedances they had otherwise identical design. Doesn't seem that way at all.

This is interesting, I had also planned on making a pair of my 1070 with another, and maybe getting a couple more. Not that it solves your inquiry, but I would compare the two, and possible get a third, if just to see what's under the hood. Omni dynamic bargains are neat.

Back