Difference between AT4040 and AT4050

tradivoro

Hi there, I'm considering buying an AT4040 because from what I hear, it's said that it's a pretty neutral mic, and I'm looking for something that is not going ot emphasize the natural low mids in my voice... However, I look at the 4050 and it has different polar patterns... So, my question is this: Are the 4040 and 4050 different sounding mics, or is the difference in price between the two due to the polar patterns, cause then I'd be interested in a 4050... Any info appreciated, thanks...

My understanding from Audio-Technica is that the AT4040 is its own mic. It's a solid mic and should get a lot more attention when compared to its competition.

Last edited:
I've never had a chance to AB them, but I did a bit of research on the same question a while back and most people seem to say that they sound very similar in cardioid mode, but the 4040 is a little brighter and has a less "hard" top end. A few people also felt that the 4050 is a little more accurate and one person felt that the 4040 had crappy mids in comparison. YMMV

Back