Did I buy a fake sm57?

adrianhouse

Hi, I bought an sm57 on Ebay, and am wondering if it's fake or real. Seller assured me it was real, but I don't know. I have a real sm58, and there's no sticker on it, while on my 57 there is a sticker for the name - is this normal? Something else I was wondering about is that when you press down on the top of the mic, it seems to squish into the mesh bit between the head of the mic and the body of it, i.e. the mesh squeezes down. Is this normal? I listened to my guitar cab recorded through both mics and they just sound different, so I don't know. Any help much appreciated,
Adrian
ps I took some photos of it but when I tried to upload the first one it said it was too big: "Your file of 1.10 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 64.0 KB for this filetype." Do I need to compress it somehow? How does one do that? Thanks.

I dont know if you have a fake or not but why would you think that the two mics would sound the same? They are not the same mic. .And yes the screen does move up and down some on a 57.

Right on, mine looks exactly like that, except the writing, the "Shure sm57", is on a sticker, not painted on or whatever.

yes that is supposed to be a sticker. How doe's it sound? I do have 57 knock offs and they sound like crap. The differences between the fake and the real one s aesthetically are pretty subtle. But the fakes weigh alot less and the wiring inside is a much smaller gauge. see how the weight compares with your 58 and open it them up and check the wiring, if the wires in the 57 look alot thinner then you did get a fake, but if they are the same you should be good. The sound is the most important part though and it should not sound like your 58

hold on ..on that thread it says that shure mic cases never say made in china in the inside but i bought a beta52a from ebay and it came with warranty a booklet a shure box and it even came with a shure sticker.. the mic weight a good bit...sounds good..but the case says made in china!!!!
did i get a good fake?

yes that is supposed to be a sticker. How doe's it sound? I do have 57 knock offs and they sound like crap. The differences between the fake and the real one s aesthetically are pretty subtle. But the fakes weigh alot less and the wiring inside is a much smaller gauge. see how the weight compares with your 58 and open it them up and check the wiring, if the wires in the 57 look alot thinner then you did get a fake, but if they are the same you should be good. The sound is the most important part though and it should not sound like your 58

Ok, thanks for the tip. Will open them up and check it out.

Back