A desperate man is looking for a mic

Correct me if I'm wrong but using an omnidirectional mic would just make it easier for it to capture noises and other stuff that would ruin my recordings.

You need to understand the physics...

The cardioid has a ratio of 1.7 - this means that a cardioid at 1.7 metres will pick up the same sound as an omni at 1 metre.

Also an omni does not have any proximity effect, so you don't change the character of the bass as you move the omni closer to the source.

Also, the omni has a good octave more at the bass end compared to a directional mic.

Yes, I have mics of all patterns in my kit, but I do seem to use the omni most of the time.

...and I spent almost 40 years of my life involved in sound recording in both TV studio and location environments and used cardioid or hyper cardioid the vast majority of the time. Darn near the only exception to this is head mounted lavs in a theatre environment.

An omni is bad advice for an amateur working in a non-acoustically treated environment.

Even thought I'd actually dream to working professional either with video or image or audio (or all of them). My knowledge with these sort of though is scarce.

John Willett, do you agree with Bobbsy when he says: "An omni is bad advice for an amateur working in a non-acoustically treated environment."?

I want to note (in case I haven't said earlier) my decision is nearly made towards the audio technica, but my mind may still change as I wait some answers from a friend of mine who says he can get cheaper prices.

Back