Deep, bassy, warm sounding Microphone

harman90

Hi !
I am new to recordings and want your help in choosing the microphones.
I have scarlett 2i2 Interface with AT2035
I have a mid tone (midway between bassy and bright) type of Voice. I have heard Several Youtubers and VO artist who produce warm rich sounding recordings! but in reality their voice is not that bassy !
For example check the intro of this guy : YouTube

Is this really Microphone or It's preamp ? How can i bring that much warmth in my Recordings?

Some micriphones in my list >> e945, e835, Shure SM58, Re320
Please recommend What I need
Thanks.

Note : i have tried proximity effect, it adds up to the harshness in my recording.
Check out sample recording : https://soundcloud.com/charan900/sample-file (second parT)

Thank you In advance.

Last edited:
Voices do not work on the same level as 'low','middle','high'. Voices work on the levels of fundamentals and harmonics which are completely different.

Those rich recordings are most likely a result of the preamp and EQ. Compared to the AT2035, the AT2020 has less pronounced highs which gives it more of a flat sound with very slightly more middle. However either microphones are neither exceptionally bassy. So when that youtube guy is recording, the weak highs are probably working well to make him sound warmer and with some pre-processing he can boost the warmth even more.

After listening to your samples, you do indeed have a somewhat highish texture to your voice, which will make it much harder to produce a warm recording, especially with the AT2035.

The Shure SM58 is going to be a bit warmer than the Electro-Voice. I'm not sure about the Sennheiser's but they also seem like a good choice. I'd say that the Electro-voice would be the worst choice, and would be the brightest, more like an upgrade to your current mic.

Now there are also 'ribbon' microphones, however they are extremely situational. A ribbon is pretty much the opposite of bright and clear, rather being dark and rolling off the highs. I would be very cautious though, even with your voice, a ribbon can sound extremely dark and they also require delicate care. But I'm simply telling you this as an option and not a recommendation, look for a clearer mic first. For $264 you can buy a Cascade Fathead with a Lundhal transformer which makes the ribbon a little more bright, or you can choose a Cinemag transformer which will you give the darkest sounding ribbon for that price point.

Last edited:
hey! I checked some videos on Cascade Fat Head Ribbon. Its sounds awesome ! But I am little confused ! Is "Fat Head Ribbon Mic" different from "Fat Head Ribbon Mic Lundahl Transformer mic"?

Sorry for amateur Question?

Hey,
Yeah, it's different. One has a stock transformer, and the other has a Lundahl upgrade.

Google will tell you what people think about the two. :)

Thank you for reply!
As I am from India, I guess I could only get basic model of it. Availability could be a issue.
are there any more similar Recommendations by some popular brands which could be available here?

Would these mic be able to work on My scarlett 2i2?

Thank you for reply!
As I am from India, I guess I could only get basic model of it. Availability could be a issue.
are there any more similar Recommendations by some popular brands which could be available here?

I've no idea what would/wouldn't be available to you, but yes, any of these microphones will work fine with your interface.
If I wanted to accentuate bass I'd just get close to a dynamic mic.
Sm58 would do. Sm7b would be my preference.
AKG D112 isn't necessarily common for voice work, but it's cheap, and it'll have plenty of bass.

Thank you for reply!

It's been written in Many blogs that the stock fathead is perfectly fine right out of the box without the upgraded transformer.

Back