Creed and AKG

VirtualSamana

I saw a VH1 special on Creed. In the rockumentary they showed Scott singing into a AKG 3000B. Does anyone know a web site detailing the recording equipment they used to make "My own Prison" album? I would be curious if such a huge album could have been recorded with affordable mikes.

And some vocals are recorded with SM57. I think what makes the most difference is where and how do you point the mic, what's you recording chain and who is singing into it, then what the make of the microphone is. And different vocals sound good on different mics anyway.

My $ .02 anyway,
Keijo

those guys certainly knew what they were doing. They got the best sound possible out of the mic.

That said, the vocal sound is the worst part of "with arms wide open" . Incidentally, I just got the mp3 yesterday, and I immediately commented that the vocal was different than say matchbox(the acoustic version of push has the best rock vocal I've heard). TO me I thought that the engineer had put too much high end. Maybe its the mic, maybe its the engineer, who knows, but their are definitely better vocals out there.

btw, I love stapps singing.

I know Creed's first album was done with a fraction of the budget used for major label releases. The producer/engineer was virtually unheard of before Creed's success. It's nice seeing an album doing so well that wasn't on a major label and that wasn't recorded in a million dollar studio.

Creed said they paid only around $7,000 for the "My Own Prision" album. I am SURE they spent A LOT more for "Human Clay".

do you have to pay $7000 to get that cheesy flanger sound put on the end of a song? I'd think it would be a just the cost of a DOD Flanger pedal. That part of the song always makes me want to hurl if I'm listening in headphones.

Without trying to sound like a jerk...When you have a vocalist who essentially mumbles into his mic, the quality of the mic seems a little more flexible. Not a direct slam on Creed, I know that is the style of singing preferred in today's pop music.
But there are not as many nuances in the voice i.e. breathing, phrasing, high to low levels from the singing diaphragm..

What I am trying to convey is that a Neumann U-87 is more critical on Barbara Streisand than on the dude from Creed.

Villiage idiot,

If I could sing half as good as Barbara I'd put out the bucks for a U87. However I think the majority of the vocalists who post on this site are not in her league. For someone who sings but wouldn't consider himself a singer I am wondering how much all the fuss about mics really matters.

Back