Creating a soundproof structure around your Mic?

dreamache

For some reason on this forums page listing, there aren't any "Page 1 2 3 4 >>" buttons etc, so I can't research if this has been an issue discussed before (and I have no idea what I'd search for).. so here it is, sorry if it's a redundant question...

My room isn't dry at all (it's a bedroom), there's a ton of stuff everywhere... I'm trying to record my acoustic and I want that dry environment, but there aren't any nearby rooms that would be suited... so I'm wondering if there's a way to create an artificial "room" by constructing something with soundproof foam around the mic that would help simulate what I want?

You could eliminate some of the room reflections but you could never get it to sound completely dead. Your best bet is to treat the room with some sound absorbent material and place the mic as close as possible to the guitar (try around the 12th fret).

Check out the Studio Building forum for info on sound absorbers. 703 Rigid Fiberglass insulation is usually the best bang for the buck.

TexRoadkill said:
You could eliminate some of the room reflections but you could never get it to sound completely dead. Your best bet is to treat the room with some sound absorbent material and place the mic as close as possible to the guitar (try around the 12th fret).

Check out the Studio Building forum for info on sound absorbers. 703 Rigid Fiberglass insulation is usually the best bang for the buck.

how about this idea for starters???

get a cardboard box, soundproof it with soundproofing, get the mic in the middle of it, (so it'd be covered on the sides and the back).. it'd probably help eliminate a lot of sound.

Alternate trick:

Go to Home Depot and buy some PVC pipe and elbows and make a "V" stand about 4 or 5 feet high and wide. Put a couple of packing blankets over it.

Set the mic near the back of the "V", facing out. Play into the "V". Also great for vocals.

Big advantage; it comes apart easily when you're done and fits under the bed.

Harvey Gerst said:
Alternate trick:

Go to Home Depot and buy some PVC pipe and elbows and make a "V" stand about 4 or 5 feet high and wide. Put a couple of packing blankets over it.

Set the mic near the back of the "V", facing out. Play into the "V". Also great for vocals.

Big advantage; it comes apart easily when you're done and fits under the bed.
hm... I don't have a good idea of what type of shape you're talking about... could you explain it better somehow? (get out photoshop or windows paint!) or use ascii hehe.

lpdeluxe said:

...I've been using these for a few months now...no substitute for a properly treated room, but a noticeable improvement over nothing at all...the large "hourglass" shaped piece that fits nicely just behind the mic (on a boom-type stand) is my favorite piece...since I do alot of "dubplate" recording (vocals recorded over a pre-mixed rhythm track) I find this particular item very useful...eliminates much of the room "bounce-back" by deadening the space directly behind the mic...of course, Harvey's idea above will provide more deadening effect...
...another effective method is taking one or more mic boom stands (2 or 3 work best) and adjusting the boom portion to create a "T" shape (move the boom arm so equal lengths are on both sides of the fully extended upright support to form a tall "T" shape) and throw a movers blanket over each stand...these are quick and efficient at creating a "booth-like" area...you can break them down with little effort when not in use...here's links to some excellent deals on stands and blankets:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3pk-OnStage...376535651QQcategoryZ29948QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Moving-Pads-B...5649300688QQcategoryZ1290QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dreamache said:
hm... I don't have a good idea of what type of shape you're talking about... could you explain it better somehow? (get out photoshop or windows paint!) or use ascii hehe.

Hopefully, this will work:

Attachments

• frame.gif
    frame.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 2,976
soundchaser59 said:
Looks like Harvey is talking about building a free-standing "corner" but use pvc pipe instead of wood. Should work well.

...here's a few pics of a free-standing corner baffle that I built from about $30 worth of items all purchased from Home Depot...using the steel pipes as the upright gave it more ballast and ridgidity to help support the blanket (these moving blankets are surprisingly heavy which is why they make great baffles!)...also, by using 2-3' sections of pipe, you can set it up with only one 3' section for sitting/guitar miking, and two sections for a taller/standing vocal booth effect...it breaks down easily for storage, and works quite effectively in a situation where you cannot do more permanant sound treatment...it's constructed from the following items:

2- PVC 3-way corner joints (junction 1/2" threaded to 2-1" PVC pipe outlets) see pic #28
2- 1/2" steel pipe X 36" with threaded ends (to make the 6' upright)
1- 1/2" steel coupler joint (to join the 2 pipes together)
2- 1" X 3' PVC Pipe (for the top supports for blanket)
2- 1" X 4' PVC Pipe (for the legs to stabilize upright)
4- 1" PVC Cap Ends
1- Heavy Duty Moving Blanket

...takes about 10 minutes to assemble...very similar to what Harvey suggested, but all in one unit...

Attachments

• Image024.jpg
    Image024.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 452
  • Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 444
  • Image027.jpg
    Image027.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 359
  • Image028.jpg
    Image028.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Harvey Gerst said:
Alternate trick:

+1

This is quick 'n easy, and cheap. Heavy blankets will give you a very dead sing-into space for a dry track.

Some comments:

First of all, fabric covered 703 will get you better results than the moving blankets and can be hung from the same frame

Sencond, this will help a lot with the first order reflections but there will still be sounding bouncing around behind you that will be on axis to the mic. So your next step would be to make a similar hanging panel behind you (this one would most likely be straight across rather than the V shape).

The other advantage of using 703 rather than moving blankets is that when you get serious about treating the whole room or making a permanent booth the 703 is entirely usable for that while the moving blankets would be usable only as moving blankets.

Innovations said:
Sencond, this will help a lot with the first order reflections but there will still be sounding bouncing around behind you that will be on axis to the mic. So your next step would be to make a similar hanging panel behind you (this one would most likely be straight across rather than the V shape).

...actually, I have used the "moving blanket draped over an extra boom mic stand" method I described above ("T"-formation to support the blanket) to create the section you recommend...so the additional cost is only $14. for the extra blanket (since I have extra boom stands hanging around)...it does assist to isolate the vocalist quite a bit...I must say, that the moving blankets are a MAJOR improvement in an untreated room, at minimal expense...on top of that, these "baffles" can be setup and broken down for storage in minutes...well worth the $30-45. invested...

Innovations said:
Some comments:

First of all, fabric covered 703 will get you better results than the moving blankets and can be hung from the same frame

The other advantage of using 703 rather than moving blankets is that when you get serious about treating the whole room or making a permanent booth the 703 is entirely usable for that while the moving blankets would be usable only as moving blankets.
what is this 703 and how do i find it? thanks.

How safe is it to use fiberglass insulation (i.e. the 703) for building a makeshift mic booth? This is the same stuff you use in your attic and you are supposed to where a mask, gloves, and long clothes when going near it. Am I wrong?

aquaman said:
How safe is it to use fiberglass insulation (i.e. the 703) for building a makeshift mic booth? This is the same stuff you use in your attic and you are supposed to where a mask, gloves, and long clothes when going near it. Am I wrong?

...the product recommended for sound treatment is not the insulation material you're referring to...the 703 is a rigid fiberglass board that is available in different thicknesses, not the flexible fiberglass batting material (usually covered in paper or foil) used to insulate attics...it's designed for that very use, and most often covered in fabric to create a more decorative appearance in pro studios...

aquaman said:
Safe? yeah. There's a pretty common myth that breathing in the fibers causes lung damage. It does itch like crazy though if your bare skin comes into contact with it. Best thing to do is to cover it with a loose weave fabric like burlap or muslin (tight canvasy fabric will reduce the effectiveness)

Back