Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Creating a soundproof structure around your Mic?

dreamache is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

Creating a soundproof structure around your Mic?

Sign in to disable this ad
    For some reason on this forums page listing, there aren't any "Page 1 2 3 4 >>" buttons etc, so I can't research if this has been an issue discussed before (and I have no idea what I'd search for).. so here it is, sorry if it's a redundant question...

My room isn't dry at all (it's a bedroom), there's a ton of stuff everywhere... I'm trying to record my acoustic and I want that dry environment, but there aren't any nearby rooms that would be suited... so I'm wondering if there's a way to create an artificial "room" by constructing something with soundproof foam around the mic that would help simulate what I want?

TexRoadkill is offline Audio Bum
    Thanks
    You could eliminate some of the room reflections but you could never get it to sound completely dead. Your best bet is to treat the room with some sound absorbent material and place the mic as close as possible to the guitar (try around the 12th fret).

Check out the Studio Building forum for info on sound absorbers. 703 Rigid Fiberglass insulation is usually the best bang for the buck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TexRoadkill
    You could eliminate some of the room reflections but you could never get it to sound completely dead. Your best bet is to treat the room with some sound absorbent material and place the mic as close as possible to the guitar (try around the 12th fret).

Check out the Studio Building forum for info on sound absorbers. 703 Rigid Fiberglass insulation is usually the best bang for the buck.
    how about this idea for starters???

get a cardboard box, soundproof it with soundproofing, get the mic in the middle of it, (so it'd be covered on the sides and the back).. it'd probably help eliminate a lot of sound.

Thanks
    Alternate trick:

Go to Home Depot and buy some PVC pipe and elbows and make a "V" stand about 4 or 5 feet high and wide. Put a couple of packing blankets over it.

Set the mic near the back of the "V", facing out. Play into the "V". Also great for vocals.

Big advantage; it comes apart easily when you're done and fits under the bed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst
    Alternate trick:

Go to Home Depot and buy some PVC pipe and elbows and make a "V" stand about 4 or 5 feet high and wide. Put a couple of packing blankets over it.

Set the mic near the back of the "V", facing out. Play into the "V". Also great for vocals.

Big advantage; it comes apart easily when you're done and fits under the bed.
    hm... I don't have a good idea of what type of shape you're talking about... could you explain it better somehow? (get out photoshop or windows paint!) or use ascii hehe.

lpdeluxe is offline The Precision Bass Guy
    Thanks

Check this out

I just bought this but haven't tried it out yet.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/421198/
    "Digo: 'paciencia, y barajar.'" -- Don Quijote de la Mancha, Part II, Chapter 23

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe
    dude, try it now and post your results here!

ermghoti is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamache
    For some reason on this forums page listing, there aren't any "Page 1 2 3 4 >>" buttons etc
    Change the "View Threads from the Last" tab to a longer time period.

kidvybes is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe
    ...I've been using these for a few months now...no substitute for a properly treated room, but a noticeable improvement over nothing at all...the large "hourglass" shaped piece that fits nicely just behind the mic (on a boom-type stand) is my favorite piece...since I do alot of "dubplate" recording (vocals recorded over a pre-mixed rhythm track) I find this particular item very useful...eliminates much of the room "bounce-back" by deadening the space directly behind the mic...of course, Harvey's idea above will provide more deadening effect...
    ...another effective method is taking one or more mic boom stands (2 or 3 work best) and adjusting the boom portion to create a "T" shape (move the boom arm so equal lengths are on both sides of the fully extended upright support to form a tall "T" shape) and throw a movers blanket over each stand...these are quick and efficient at creating a "booth-like" area...you can break them down with little effort when not in use...here's links to some excellent deals on stands and blankets:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3pk-OnStage-...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Moving-Pads-Bl...QQcmdZViewItem
    reggae souljah

"I returned to music through machines. The difference is that the machines are clean, and the machines are not corrupted...but you can bring an impure musician to play in your studio and create your own doom."
    LEE 'SCRATCH' PERRY

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamache
    hm... I don't have a good idea of what type of shape you're talking about... could you explain it better somehow? (get out photoshop or windows paint!) or use ascii hehe.
    Hopefully, this will work:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information