Covering a mic

songsj

Just curious does anyone cover their microphone {s} when not in use or between sessions. If you go for days or weeks without using it. either with a loose fitting plastic bag or piece of cloth. Mainly to keep dust out etc.

I unplug them and put them back in their case/bag or in a draw. I bought some used bank teller bags at a flee market a few years back. They work great for storing mics.

Last edited:
Unless you live in an environment with loads of dust or small particles, then I'd leave well alone. Any dust that does land on it will lay on the surface, so you could simply vacuum it off. I've never covered a mic in 40 years! I never put anything away unless there's danger of physical damage.

Unless you live in an environment with loads of dust or small particles, then I'd leave well alone. Any dust that does land on it will lay on the surface, so you could simply vacuum it off. I've never covered a mic in 40 years! I never put anything away unless there's danger of physical damage.

Seeing the dust I see on stuff from just a few months.. No thanks. :)
Also these from the link;

"The main idea of the bag over the capsule is that of a physical barrier- to prevent the electrostatically attractive capsule from sucking in particles from as far as six feet away, and letting these contaminants act like salt crystals which catalyze fog formation."

"If there is any amount of a dirt layer, it becomes that much easier for moisture to form droplets and start a conductive path to short out the two plates of the condenser (diaphragm and backplate.)"

I'm pretty sure he's talking about condensers, and last admittedly giving a worst case scenario.

Not the one in the Kaotica Eyeball (it is already protected), but I do use cloth bags with velcro to cinch it up at the base of the bag.

If the mics are not being used within the next 24 hours, talking about continuing the same session and setup, they get packed away. I have a set of draws for my mics, inside the draws are soft pouches or cut out foam cradles for the condenser mics. The dynamic mics like SM57's 58's etc live in foam lined draws. Ribbon mics go back in their cases, standing up so that the ribbons are not being stressed sideways or sagging.

Alan.

Call me the cynic, but this did make me smile.
The main idea of the bag over the capsule is that of a physical barrier- to prevent the electrostatically attractive capsule from sucking in particles from as far as six feet away, and letting these contaminants act like salt crystals which catalyze fog formation
There's more danger from the slimy film that vape devices seem to leave on everything because the people puff on them like barbecues. As for the electrostatically charged capsule sucking in particles - Before the ban, some very expensive mics were put in front of chain smoking people for a very long time. Sure - the charged capsule could well attract some contaminants, but I'm going to duck and run on this one, because frankly - I believe it to be hogwash. Sure - the physics says it can happen, but I cannot say that I've ever heard of any microphone being damaged by sucking in contaminated its and then catalysing fog! I'm perfectly content to change my mind when there is some proper evidence, but I shall file it away with the other doom and gloom stories built on flawed physics.

It's like using high dollar Snap On Tools. I good machinist wipes them down before they are put away. A sloppy person just picks them up and shoves them back in the box. It's just that simple. If my interns did that with my mics, they would be let go right then and there. Since you started this thread, you can make your own mind up, on how you would want others to treat your equipment, not theirs.

I don't cover the couple of mics that get regular use, but my little room is surprisingly clean and dust free, and no smoking in the house at all. (I also keep the cats out and do vacuum once in a while. It's not antiseptic, but compared to the rest of the house, it's the place I go when I don't want to sneeze :)).

Any mics that I'm not using at least every other week get put away, simply because I have to move stuff out of the way so I can turn around, and there's always a risk of knocking a mic stand over if I don't fold up/pack up. (My room is primarily used to mix - it's not a studio, per se.)

I'd say if you're storing for an extended period of time, and humidity is a concern, you need a dehumidifier, or buy a gross of those silica gel packs (the kind that probably came with the original new box) to toss in the box/bag with your mics, maybe.

I'm in the never-cover school. I have a variety of mikes that are stored in cases, but there are a couple that I use daily that never get put away and are never covered.

Mine get packed away as soon as the session is over. If I had a nice big studio room that wasn't used for lots of other things (and cat-free), I'd leave them out, but covered.

My tiny collection are put away in bags (SM 57) or boxes save an RB Reslo ribbon that sits on a small (gitamp height) stand with Sowter 1:4 traff in a die-cast box to lift the 30Ohm output. That has a poly bag over it to keep out dust and 'tramp iron'.

DON'T! Get yer Dyson anywhere near a ribbon! In any case, ribbons always used to be stored with the element vertical? This might no matter with modern ones?

Electrostatic 'Hoover'? Typical spook juiced capacitor mic runs the capsule at 60V, many much less. That would not cause the hair on a flea's bum to rise leave alone suck dust off the floor! Anyway, they ain't left powered up??!

Of course, if you have a big, busy studio it makes sense to put away anything not immediately needed, most mics slide handily into a pocket or gigbag!

Dave.

I have a mixture. My home studio has a built in cupboard with shelves (meant to be a wardrobe since it was a bedroom) an large mics like LDCs go on a shelf in there. Smaller mics that I sometimes use for live work live in a foam lined carry case (which has it's own shelf in the cupboard. The sliding door shuts quite tightly so dust isn't usually a problem.

When I'm mid project the mics tend to stay out on their stands, only being put away if there's likely a longish gap between uses.

Somebody above mentioned bankers bags--I find them very useful to protect the fan out end of multicore cables.

Thanks for all the responses. Probably no one right way. I have always covered my large condenser mics with a plastic bag from the grocery store and just loosely tucked up the bag at the bottom. Loose enough so it can breath a little from the bottom but covered from the top to keep dust out. My home studio is dedicated to my music and the room is new but things in there still get dusty over time. I guess I see no harm in keeping the dust out, I just wanted to be sure it was not a big no no after singing. I don't smoke anymore and my pop filter is far enough away that I doubt much vapor from my breath gets in there. I don't like to tear down and set up because at times I just feel like rehearsing or recording for a bit and I like the luxury of being able to just turn everything on and go. I don't cover my drum mics, sm57, D112, Sennheiser E604's. They seem to be okay after 10 years. I think I'll stick with the plastic bag. I bought a new AKG C214 to replace my C3000B and want to treat it right. Not a spendy mic but should take care of it anyway.

Too Funny!!!!

That video sealed the deal for me with a bid submitted to a elementary school, for supplying their Podcasting Equipment. I told them "if you think that guy is acting, he's not. Wait till your pre-teens get a hold of your mics"! Their reply, "who do we make the check out to"? :D

Yes I remember as kids [ I'm 61 now ] someone I knew would take a mic and rub it in a not so nice place and then watch the next user put it up to their mouth. Jokers!!!

This quote comes from Sarah Millican's rider, and makes so much sense.
2 of your shiniest Shure SM58s on straight weighted base stands with at least 10m of cable. One is to be set downstage centre. The other is to be set offstage left and will serve as a backup (please give the mics a sniff, if they smell like 100 people’s dried saliva, please take out the sponge form the head and wash it prior to our arrival).

Back