[SOLVED] A Couple Basic Mcrophone Accessory Questions

4tracker

Just wondering

1. Why do some mics have 7 pin xlr? Why 7 compared to the 3? I bought my first tube mic and it had 7 -- first time I have seen this.

2. What is the easiest way to shorten an excessively long cable? I have one that's 25 ft and I need about 5ft.

Thanks!

Thanks a lot.

One thing: wrapping them in a large coil like that doesn't amplify any noise or hum issues?

You could also go out and buy a 6 footer and keep the 25 footer for later.

It's also pretty easy to make cables.

thanks guy, appreciate it. If I can find a 6ft I'll pick it up. So far on google search I haven't found one, so for now I will tie the longer cable.

If you can't find a 6, get a 10. I have a hard time thinking you can't find a 6 foot xlr. Where are you looking? You might be better off going to sweetwater, musicians friend, etc... thanks just doing a Google search.

The shortest I can find is 20ft, even looking on sweetwater and musicians friend. Maybe I am searching the wrong term. Is it just called 7pin xlr cable? That's what I searched, and they return 20ft or more. It's okay, I can crimp it with some velcro ties.

oooooh! You are looking for the 7 pin cable. Nevermind, those are really hard to come by.

The cable is also not that easy to source. You may find that it is a balanced pair, plus a number of individual cores, and those might, or might not be screened. To order a cable, you will have to open up one end and see what is inside. I can't think that I have EVER shortened a cable. I spend all my time with cables just a bit too short. Like has been said, coil them up!

Stupid question, but can I record with 20ft of it coiled up, or do I need to uncoil it and recoil it each time I record?

Stupid question, but can I record with 20ft of it coiled up, or do I need to uncoil it and recoil it each time I record?

Leave it coiled, just uncoiling enough to connect up.

On the other hand, you can do what I do and have it just laying out all over the floor.

I have never chopped one up but an HDMI cable could be a good source of a multicore with a few screened pairs?.....HDMI :: Installers :: Inside an HDMI cable

They can be found pretty cheaply now at RockBottom type shops over here. SCART cable is another possibility tho' I can't recall if they contain a screened pair.

Lengths and inconvenience aside, a SPARE 7 pin cable is pretty vital! NOT something you will find quickly on a wet Sunday arternoon!

These guys: HA4 HD Media Composite Cable - HD Media Composites - Audio Visual - FS Cables Surely have something suitable? I would for instance put the HT down the single co ax core.

Dave.

Last edited:
Leave it coiled, just uncoiling enough to connect up.

On the other hand, you can do what I do and have it just laying out all over the floor.

Haha. That's how it is now, and it's driving me nuts. Thanks for answering that dumb question.

Back