Considering buying Oktava MC 012/MK 012 from GC

thehymns

So, much to my suprise my local Guitar Center has an Oktava MC 012 (or possibly MK 012) for $60 (it's not on display, but it is there), and I'm assuming that it is the Chinese model. Is the only difference the -10 DB capsale? I've been looking for a pair on ebay, and I've found very different looking mics at outragously different prices...even sound room pictures two different mics on their website.

So I guess the main question is: Do they sound the same? I bought a Shure KSM109...should I return it and get a pair of Oktavas, because I could probably talk GC into selling me two of them for $100. As much as I'd love to experiment, I don't have a kit at my house, so I want to make sure I have the best thing (on a limited budget) for the situation. HELP!

Lots of threads on the differences, just search. If I could get one for $60, I'd grab it. I tried getting one a few weeks ago and GC said there were only like 12 left in all their stores (unfortunately, none in my city.) I bought a russian one off ebay, just arrived today! Can't wait to get home and try it out.

I have the rusky, but only one of them, sadly. So I just go w/ mono ac/gt when I use it, and use the 991's for my stereo ac/gt pairng and OH's.

60$ for an mk012? GO FOR IT !

i got a russian pair and i love them, i paid alot more, even a little extra cause i wanted the black ones instead of the silver colored mics,
i've only used them for overheads, with nice results

The guys at GC finally found the actually mic, and it is a MK-012-01 with the removable capsules and all the documentation in Russian...so it must be the real deal! They have it listed at $79.99, but since it's been there for so long, I'm getting it for $63. I'm going to pick it up Thursday once the stores computers are working again (I can't believe how frustrating that place can be).

thehymns said:
So, much to my suprise my local Guitar Center has an Oktava MC 012 (or possibly MK 012) for $60 (it's not on display, but it is there), and I'm assuming that it is the Chinese model. Is the only difference the -10 DB capsale? I've been looking for a pair on ebay, and I've found very different looking mics at outragously different prices...even sound room pictures two different mics on their website.

So I guess the main question is: Do they sound the same? I bought a Shure KSM109...should I return it and get a pair of Oktavas, because I could probably talk GC into selling me two of them for $100. As much as I'd love to experiment, I don't have a kit at my house, so I want to make sure I have the best thing (on a limited budget) for the situation. HELP!

the chinese are wayyy brighter from what i hear

Nick The Man said:
the chinese are wayyy brighter from what i hear

They are the much more expensive Russian models. MK-012-01 like they sell at Sound Room with the metal mic clip and it includes the -10DB capsule. Russian documents and everything...defiently going to pick it up...the guy said there were two but the computers were down so he couldn't check.

$63 is a steal, congrats!

Edit: I've had my russian one for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. I still have my Marshal MXL603s too and plan on posting another Pepsi Challenge, this time on steel string guitar. Hopefully I'll get around to it early next week.

Back