Condensors(got 2 b1s) Please HELP! recording!! (minimize background noise and echo)

mateenj

Hello to everyone. I just wanted to hear some of your advice for recording with a couple of B1s at home when they're used to pick up a direct signal (even though a couple of 57s would be better) but this is all I have. I'm planning on using these for two overheads on our group's drumset, but I also want to do some home recording with them. I have a roland 8-track. I already purchased phantom power, and i just run the mics straight to the recorder. Now here's my problem:

I record a lot of hand percussion (djembes, congas, persian hand drums - mainly dafs), also an acoustic guitar and an upright piano. I haven't tried much with the upright, but I think that if I move my upright away from the wall into an 'unparallel' position, and place the mics behind the soundboard, I should be good to go. Yet everytime I have recorded, I get AMAZING quality of the actual instrument, so don't get me wrong. But my problem is minimizing room effects, background noises, and that natural 'unprofessional' sound of the home recording because the condensors are so strong, they pick up all the echoing of walls, etc. I know condensors aren't really the best for this, but I love my b1's quality, I get such a clear tone! I just want to know how if there's any possible way to minimize background effect. I have tried different mic placements, and do get better results. I've been messing with the input sens on the 8 track a lot, yet sometimes I peak too much. Should I try a smaller room, maybe even the bathroom? I do get decent acoustics in the garage also. Any suggestions would be great.

I still have 200$, so if you suggest buying an amp or something, I might think about it. But I really would appreciate advice in working with what I have now, because I have great equipment, and I'm still learning how to use the roland. Should I place the mics closer? farther? Should I put the foamscreen on the mic that came with it. I really don't know where to start, so I thought these forums would help me. Thanks a bunch, I look forward to hearing from you all.

- Mateenj.

ps - I also would appreciate help in recording our band live not track by track. I'm a novice in recording, and I'm not sure if I should run the bass directly through the pa to the roland, which I tried and got a ###### thin sound. Or should I mic the actual amps to pickup that warm natural feeling? Should I use my bassist's shure mic for this? Also, should I keep the b1's for overheads, while the shure is used to mic the amp, and the other shure is used to mic the piano amp (electric piano, sometimes upright which is also a problem). Thanks.

The first advice i can give you is do a little homework first. This is very basic stuff. Meaning this is stuff thats already been covered here and stuff you can easily find on the internet. Just post stuff that you dont quite understand.

For getting rid of room ambience the closer the better. But by doing that your also going to take out some of the natural ambiences in the instruments. Sometimes thats good and sometimes its bad. The best is if you can get it close in a spot that keeps the good transients of the instrument, leaving out the bad, and leaving out bad room noises.

The more ideal room for you to record in is one where the reflections are longer in time. Meaning in a bigger room. Recording in your bathroom is going to give way more room noise. Its going to sound the same as you hear it in the room basically. Find a room that is pretty large and has alot of stuff in it. Maybe a room with alot of book shelves, sofas, and just random stuff everywhere. The idea is you want to have thing breaking up the sound or dispersing it randomly instead of back and forth.

Mic placement will always be critical even in a good sounding room. There is alot of great advice here on this forum for micing upright piano. Sweetspots and doom spots. Its always going to be different however, depending on the source, the room, the equipment, how you want it to hear, and how your hearing it. So they are just guidelines.

There are a few brands that make a B1 model. Might wonna state whether its a Behringer B1 or a Studio Projects B1 or some other because they will have entirely different sounds.

Thanks for that info. I was referring to the Studio Projects B1.

You sound right about a larger room, I should try my living room or family room. Maybe I should even consider getting those room acoustic pads, whatever they're called.

i wouldnt worry about spending a bunch of money on acoustics until you know what you need. For the time being just try and find a place that has alot of stuff in it. Open shelves, book cabinets, sofas, chairs, fireplaces etc will probably do alot more than being in an empty room with a little bit of acoustic foam. And do alot of research on acoustics too because youll find much better products to use than acoustic foam for alot less money. Do this until you know how the room noise is actually effecting the sound. Once you start to notice the difference between original source and room then you will have a better idea on what you need to help the acoustics.

Danny

Oh, yeah of course. I never randomly go out and buy equipment and accessories before shopping around and testing all the possibilities. And plus, today I tried my living room and I got a great quality. The extra room ambience is very unnoticable and once I get better with my 8-track, I should be able to significantly improve the quality anyway and use its built in effects. Once you try enough of different mic positions, and placements, etc., you can get the tone you're looking for from that 'magic spot'.

Back