Condensor Prices

Cooperman

I've just checked out Musicians Friend for prices of AKG C1000s and the Rode NT-1. Both are US$200 - is this generally about the right price for these two mics?

I've just found out that Rode mics are made in Australia yet over here the Rode NT-1 costs the same as an AKG C1000 - now because the Rode mics are made here in Australia and are not subject to import taxes or shipping costs or anything I would have thought that they'd be cheaper...weird!!!

By the way, what's everyone's preference between the two? From all reports the C1000 is pretty versatile - but I'll mainly need a condensor for vocals and don't really wanna anything more than the cost of the above.

$200 is really good price for the nt-1. in the usa, you can usually get a c1000 for around $170. the c1000 and nt-1 are different mics, though, and not necessarily used for the same purposes. the small capsule in the c1000 gives it a little better transient response, and is good for acoustic guitar, and two of them make a pretty good ORTF pair for live performances. the bigger 1" capsule in the nt-1 makes it a little fuller, and is a bit better for vocals, though like most of the entry level large-diaphragm condensers, it has a rather pronounced upper-mid lift tha can come across as harshness when recording in digital, so most folks will couple those mics with a tube mic preamp to warm them up some.

Thanks for the reply dude,

I ended up doing a search in the BBS archives and pretty much decided from what I read that probably the Rode NT-1 is the one for me at this moment. As I said, I just need a condensor for vocals mainly so that's the route I'll go. I'm still some way off getting the gear I need to finish my VERY basic studio but I'm trying to come up with a shopping list that'll get good results but on a budget (It sucks being a student - why did I do this damn university degree).

[This message has been edited by Cooperman (edited 01-28-2000).]

Jnorman, where'd you find the C1000 for $170? 8thstreet is the cheapist I've found it at $199.

I've got the NT-1 and the C-1000, and what jnorman says about them is right (although I like the Rode for acoustic guitar a lot). (Actually, I'm often pairing them to mic the guitar.) As for prices, the AKG should be a bit cheaper. I paid about $230 for the Rode and about $175 for the AKG here in Singapore.

jnorman: ORTF? Overhead roof to floor? Outstanding resource for tracking frequencies? Otherwise resembling two fajitas?

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 01-28-2000).]

wow new pictures cool,

the NT1 is by far a better MIC, and it's not because i'm australian, it is because it simply sounds better...

I highly recommend you check out the CAD Equitek E-100 large diaphram condensor mic. Bought one several months ago and love it. Crystal clear and very accurate. Also very sensitive. It's $229 at Musicians Friend. Of course it's phantom powered but also has an internal rechargeable battery that charges anytime phantom power is on. This means you can use it with a mixer that doesn't have phantom power. Of course you would still need a means to charge the battery. I looked at the AKG C1000 also but decided on the CAD.

[This message has been edited by DigitalDon (edited 02-01-2000).]

Back