Condenser vs Dynamic mic's

I use a Beyer Dynamic MC-500 (10 years old) which produces extremely warm vocals. As for picking up extraneous noises (i.e. refrigerator, toilet flushing, etc.) the ones that will make it onto the track most often are made by the vocalist. A noise gate helps but will not negate the need for proper vocal training/practice when working with microphones. It is an art unto itself.

I run into lots of problems when using large diaphragm mics (Using at4033's) with noise, especially on drum overheads. The best thing to do is to use mics with a bass cut switch for overhead cymbals since they lack low end and mic individual drums seperately, but this is costly, eats up board space and is more complicated. For vocals a noise gate will help out a lot, as will a bass cut switch, but you will loose lots of low end. I would not use a noise gate on drums. The best thing to do is to turn off your air conditioner, phone, etc...
Good EQing can also help eliminate some background noise.

These are my ideas, but if anyone has any other suggestions it would be helpful.

Back