Condenser Vs Dynamic

TelePaul

J to the R O C
Hello all in the wondeful Mic forum. I have a question regarding microphones for vocals. When is it better to use a dynamic over a condenser? Like what attributes of someones voice would make it fit the criteria for a dynamic? Personally, I have a high pitched voice with very little power. Any thoughts on what I should run with? Thanks alot.

I find dynamics to be very useful for sibilant singers and less desirable rooms. I've had much greater success with an sm57 than my Groove Tubes GT57. No doubt a better room and a better condenser would probably yield better results.

jonnyc said:
I find dynamics to be very useful for sibilant singers and less desirable rooms. I've had much greater success with an sm57 than my Groove Tubes GT57. No doubt a better room and a better condenser would probably yield better results.

Thanks Johnny, I never really consider the part that the pre-amp has to play as mine are built onto my interface. If dynamics are more forgiving, I might try a track with my SM58.

TelePaul said:
Thanks Johnny, I never really consider the part that the pre-amp has to play as mine are built onto my interface. If dynamics are more forgiving, I might try a track with my SM58.

Well if you have a mic, the first thing to do certainly is to try it. A cardioid dynamic like the 58 will add body to your voice via proximity effect (enhanced bass response at close distance), so get your face real close to it. However, beware of treating it like you're on stage, the variation in tone and volume as you move around, or eat the mic, will be a distraction in a recording. Aim for a consistent vocal, whatever mic you use.

On the other hand, if you are looking for an airy sort of vocal like Thom Yorke, the 58 might not be your best friend. So even with a certain voice, the microphone selection could differ according to style.

mshilarious said:
Well if you have a mic, the first thing to do certainly is to try it. A cardioid dynamic like the 58 will add body to your voice via proximity effect (enhanced bass response at close distance), so get your face real close to it. However, beware of treating it like you're on stage, the variation in tone and volume as you move around, or eat the mic, will be a distraction in a recording. Aim for a consistent vocal, whatever mic you use.

On the other hand, if you are looking for an airy sort of vocal like Thom Yorke, the 58 might not be your best friend. So even with a certain voice, the microphone selection could differ according to style.

Thanks MsHilarious. I also have a sennheiser dynamic. I'll try both of them and my condensors tomorrow, see what i like best. it'll probably be a dynamic. Cheers.

lotsa good vocals are tracked with dynamics...even the big guy's... for instance stevie wonder who could obviously have anything he wants would only track with the EV RE20... which has been a staple of voice over artists for eons... check also into a SM7 shure... other notable sennheiser 441...

Crawl before you walk

TelePaul said:
Personally, I have a high pitched voice with very little power. Any thoughts on what I should run with? Thanks alot.

Whenever you record, ALWAYS begin with the source. In this case I would suggest maybe a vocal coach, online lessons or even some sessions at a local music school, etc. Learning breath control will increase power, singing scales will increase your range - KNOW your voice. Then move on to mic selection.

Track Rat said:
Hard to amplify on the above comments. All pretty much on the money.

Yeah, I agree with the stuff that RezN8 says, however, mic choice make a HUGE difference on sound. In my limited experience this is especially true for vocals.

I have used 87i's and 67's in pro studios and used Chinese LDC mics and most recently used an SM7 and AT RE20 on my voice. I would say that beyond a shadow of a doubt that the SM7 and RE20 suit my voice better than the expensive or inexpensive condensers.

I know that it all starts with the source. I would not argue it, but the guys question was about mic choice, not voice lessons.

Next thing we should have here is someone jumping on telling him that mics do not matter at all that all he should care about is room treatment.

I get it. I think a lot of people here do too. I sometimes get frustrated when the answer to every question is "Get a better drummer." or "Treat your room."

(Sorry for the rant at the end.)

my totally unscientific opinion

To me, the main reason for going for a dynamic is to minimize room effect due to their seeming lack of sensitivity. You still want to try to treat the room as best you can, but for those of us with no choice but to record in a crappy environment, I think a dynamic helps lessen the room's influence. Other than that, I think whether or not it's a dynamic or condensor doesn't really mean much, it's the individual mic's sonic properties that determine whether or not it's good for any individual. If you have a slightly shrill voice, you obviously don't want a very bright sounding mic, regardless of whether it's a dynamic or condensor. If your voice lacks body (like mine), you probably want something with a bit of proximity effect that you can try to work. Dynamic or condensor is of less importance.

Now, if it also has do double duty as a live mic quite a bit, then a dynamic will generally be more durable in the abuse it can take, but if it's strictly for recording and you take reasonable care of it, that shouldn't be a factor.

So, in other words, what they said. :o

Back