Condenser microphone needs gain at 10 for clear signal?

even if you grabbed a ART MP single,, those are cheap $30 used, they can be hit and miss for noise but if you get a good one they can do really well.

do you have anyone that can loan you a 3rd mic? hopefully a higher output mic and a 3rd cable...I wouldnt go to a dynamic just yet because those often need even more gain and if the interface is just weak on gain its going to add to the problem. A lot of people buy 58's and SM7 and find out they need an outboard preamp to get it to sound better.

that NT1 should have plenty of output though....25mv/pa geeez....SM7/58 are like 1.5mv/pa....my KSM LDC are 14mv/pa and my interface gain knob is around 12oclock to 2.

ROEDE NT1-A | RecordingHacks.com

its a head scratcher for sure!
I don't know anyone else near me who has any audio equipment sadly. I also had to return some of the extra equipment I had now so I have even less to test with as well. Could it just be windows 10 being goofy with equipment?

Rog, great to get another bod on board who knows Ohms Law and the sharp end of a multimeter!

I am a bit concerned about that 1V differential in the measurement twxt pins 2 and 3? There is a big resistor tolerance error somewhere, not likely the mic.

If all is quiet and good fine but such error could give rise to common mode noise, 100 or 120Hz hum is the most likely. Do you have/know of Right Mark Analyser?

Dave.

I am a bit concerned about that 1V differential in the measurement twxt pins 2 and 3......

Sorry - my bad wording!.... the 1V difference refers to the difference between the devices - not between the pins...

So - the SD USBpre has an off load voltage of 47.8V measured on both pins 2 and 3 (WRT pin 1). The on load voltage reads 25.7 on both pins.

The Tascam DR100 has an off load voltage of 46.9V on both pins, and an on load voltage of 26.9V on pin 2 and 26.8V on pin 3 - so a 100mV differential there ( no audible effects detected)

Using the 24V option from the Tascam gives an off load reading of 24.3V on each pin, and an on load reading of 21.7V on both pins 2 and 3.

Using the phantom power on the Behringer 1002B - which is listed as '23V' in the spec - gave readings of 21.2V off load and 16.0 V on load (both legs)

So apologies for misleading .....

I haven't used Right Mark itself -- although I do have a selection of analysers on my various machines...I've found this one very good: Visual Analyser (and it's free!)

I normally use my trusty old Neutrik MR1 as a signal generator...

Ooo! Did not know about the Neutrik genny, nice, want one, cannot justify a ton and a half for something I shall no longer really use.

Rog, are you perhaps in UK?

Dave.

Hi Dave -
Yup , from the South coast (Dorset).....I would haveknown you are UK based - even without the Northampton location - otherwise your handle would have probably been 12AX7 ! :)

My MR1 is the old type Minirator which I used at work for many years.... got it for a song when I retired... That unit was always a bit expensive, but the replacement MR2 is seriously overpriced, IMHO...

Rog

I don't know anyone else near me who has any audio equipment sadly. I also had to return some of the extra equipment I had now so I have even less to test with as well. Could it just be windows 10 being goofy with equipment?

ive been humbled too many times to say.... it could be anything.

the other day someone here got the fix in and it turned out to be a new cable which was interesting, but then again common....but then I wonder still how do cables just go bad when they arent moved etc.?? lol

the NT1A at 25mv/pa sensitivity is so "loud" per spec, any preamp should work with it, imo.
so the chances of all three interfaces being bad seems unlikely.
you changed the mic cable....

so it leaves the mic as the main suspect, imo. but as said before, maybe the USB isnt right, or some Windows Media Player is off?
but I wouldnt think the headphone output would be low due to the DAW/Windows....

heres a 1khz test tone at -6db....when I play it I check my interface VU's and the DAW levels etc...these days I dont have anything else in my chain at the moment.

if you slap this wave in your DAW it should play 1khz and the meters very close to -6db.

that might tell you something?

turn the volume off when starting of course....its just a 1k signal.

Attachments

• 1khz TestTone -6db.mp3
    159.2 KB · Views: 16
Ok . . . how about taking the NT1 elsewhere? Maybe to the store where all the interfaces are coming from. And check it there.

thats the fastest way to end the t-shooting. the store should have mixers and preamps and cables..... more than enough to determine if the mics whacked.

Probably going over things that have been covered....but

1: Have you ever had a mic+interface setup that worked just fine?
2: Can you record some clips illustrating the problem and attach/embed them here?
3: Can you share some pictures or a short video showing your audio track and master output meters whilst your audio is playing?

Apologies if these are covered already.

I am using them with ProTools either through the Digi 003 interface or a Focusrite OctoPre. The new NT1s will run off of 24V of Phantom power so even if you voltage is a bit low they should still work. Are you sure your cable is OK? If one of the hot leads is broken the phantom power will still get to the mike, but the output will be screwed up. Are you going through any adapters?

"The NT1 specs states it works on 48v or 24v (oddly they don't say a range of 24v to 48v), so if the alleged 48v from the interface were to be loaded down, but still could provide 24v or greater the mic should function. Most phantom power designs put current limiting resistors in its output and the effect of higher current draw to the mic will decrease the available voltage to the mic simply since due to the voltage drop across the limiting resistors. My own AT4040 is speced at 4.2ma@48v. The NT1 is supposedly around the ballpark of 5.5ma@48v. "

5.5mA is only just over 1/2 the current a phantom supply SHOULD deliver but many bus powered AI cannot manage even that. It is not the supply VOLTAGE that could be the problem here but CURRENT capacity. Eight AAs will give you a good 12V but they won't start your car!

Then, I doubt that capacitor mics are 'Ohmic' loads? That is at 24V the current demand will NOT be 1/2 that at 48V.

Dave.

Back