Condenser Mic for Vocal Recommendation Under $1500

youngjun_92

Hi, I am trying to upgrade my condenser mic and I need help choosing.
I've done some research and I was interested in some mics. (TLM 102, Miktek CV4)
My budget is $1500 and I am not recording my voice, but many other voices, so I need one that is versatile.
It does not have to be multi-pattern, and only be cardioid.
Please throw out some recommendations. Thanks :)

I won't be much help here, I'm just curious to see what you end up going with.

I was just browsing LDC mics a couple days ago because I thought that I was going to have to replace my main vocal mic. I was looking in the ~$1000 price range, after being disappointed by the offerings in the $750 range. I don't have much exposure to mics other than the few that I own myself. But I was really attracted to a few options based on specs, reputation, and reviews: Neumann TLM 103, AKG C414, and Avantone BV-1. I looked at response charts for these (knowing full well that they don't tell the full story of a mic). The TLM looked a little too flat in the lows/mids, and a little too sensitive in the highs and extreme highs. I would want to hear one before plopping down $1K on it. The C414 gets lots of props for having a great and detailed high end without being too sizzly. And the BV-1 is the big brother to my mic, the CV-12. Looks like similar specs, just a little beefier in the lows and an even smoother high end.

Ultimately I was happy to not need to replace my CV-12. I love that mic, it really does swing above its price class. If you get a chance to try one out, do yourself a favor and give it a test drive.

First, you don't need to spend $1500 to get a very capable condenser mic to record vocals...since no "one size fits all" voices applies, I'd suggest allotting that money for 2-3 mics which would much more effectively satisfy your needs, complimenting an assortment of voices...I suggest you take a look at this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low...ordable-ldc-microphone-multiple-voicings.html

...these 3U Audio mics can be purchased direct at wholesale pricing from the designer/manufacturer saving you much expense, but offering quality comparable to MikTek, Mojave, Lewitt, etc...their $270 Warbler-series mics are, IMHO, superior in both build-quality and performance to the Sennheiser TLM102...lots of others' opinions and sound-clips are posted in that thread...

A very versatile condenser mic that should fit the bill nicely is the AKG C414 XLII. I know that it is the favorite of some professional voiceover artists. You might be put off by its vintage, rectangular appearance, but it is a modern microphone. And one that gets high praise (and recommended above) is the Neumann TLM 103. Both are about the same price, and in your <$1500 range with some money left over.

I agree with Kid that having a few mics to choose from would be better way to spread $1500 around. My small collection of mics is only used by myself, but I find that sometimes a particular mic works better for some types of music styles. I have a Shure SM7b I use occasionally. Different preamps may affect the mics sound also.

I've kinda been following the long, long thread Kid linked and I am quite tempted to give one of the Warbler's a try. My problem is trying to decide which one that isn't redundant soundwise to something I already have (and keeping the purchase unknown to my wife :) ).

...yeah, that's the same predicament many of those participating in the thread are faced with...picking from that selection of options can be overwhelming...I've been testing a bunch of these Warbler-series variants and they are impressive...I'd say the Warbler MK I (U87) and the Warbler MKIV (251) are two of my favorites for voice...they have complimentary voicings, in the sense that if one doesn't work on a particular voice, odds are good the other will...I credit that mostly to the MKI having a center-terminated K67 capsule and the MKIV having an edge-terminated C12-style capsule, so their voicings are very different and rather counterpoint to each other...that MKIV is really unique at such an affordable price-point, seeing that most mics that attempt to duplicate the voicing of the legendary ELAM 251 run a thousand dollars and up...

My friend has a C414XLS and it is really good. I would like to try an XLII as it is supposed to be nice on vocals too.
Right now I use a Sputnik which is really nice (and better than my NTK which is now retired). I'm running it through an LA610 though so that does make a difference in what comes out in my recordings. I paid 300 US for it used. It was recommended to me by the guy who mastered my cd's who has heard lots of mics.

The Gefell MT71S uses the original Georg Neumann M7 capsule and is within your budget.

$ 1,100 at Vintage King HERE

They can also do the Rycote mount and special pop filter.

In fact the switchable UMT 70S is only just over the top of your budget and may be worth considering - especially as Vintage King do it with case, cable, shockmount and pop filter for just $ 1,665 - see HERE

gefell_umt70s_fet_vk_main.jpg

In the under $1500 price range there are a lot steals in the used market if you can go that route. Blue Kiwi, Neumann TLM49, Pearlman TM2 all under a $1K and some well under. If you want a Neumann, do check out the used TLM49 before spending any dough on the 102 or 103. We use the Pearlman Tm2 on vocals all the time and they're great both new and used. Also agree with the 3U mics from Australia as great deals.

There are so many great mics available in this range and don't forget the Stage One Rocket with all those capsules each costing over $500/each and the whole package would $1500.00 on a deal. Good luck!!

TKeefe | Terry Keefe | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back