Condenser Mic + Phantom Power coming out SUPER quiet

Suburban Ed

I am completely new to home recording and condenser microphones. I purchased a basic condenser mic and phantom power. Here are both if that helps:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHMUQ2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAPGLQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm on a Windows 10 machine and am testing out recording on the basic Voice Recorder, and some screen cap tools. I also have a Macbook pro that I can plug in the USB adaptor and try with.

The problem is that after getting everything rigged up, the microphone barely seems to record. I record and play back and it's hardly a whisper, even boosted to the max. This is the same on both my Windows machine and my Mac.

The phantom power doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've even plugged the mic directly into my computer, not even using the phantom power, and it records the same level of quietness. I assumed that I received a faulty phantom power box, and returned the initial box that I originally had for the one linked above. Both act the same.

What am I missing? Any idea what the causes for something like this could be? My next step is to return the microphone and either buy another one, or just call it quits until the bug for home recording comes back, because this is really frustrating.

The phantom power doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've even plugged the mic directly into my computer, not even using the phantom power, and it records the same level of quietness. I assumed that I received a faulty phantom power box, and returned the initial box that I originally had for the one linked above. Both act the same.

If this is true then that mic doesn't need phantom power to operate. It's probably a cheap electret condenser element you can buy for $1 in a package designed to imitate a real studio mic. If you want to record it's going to mean spending more. Get a mic from a known reputable manufacturer, add a proper audio interface and you'll be in much better shape to record. The interface will likely come with usable software, and you can always try demos of other software until you find something you like.

Call that setup "basic" is giving it too much credit. At those prices, I wouldn't expect it to be much more than a prop. Considering the interface doesn't have a gain control, you would have to rely on the computer's sound settings to get any input.

Samson has a very basic USB mic for about $40. For a bit more, you can get a Blue Snowball. I don't think you will be happy with the current mic under any circumstances.

Thanks. I'm most definitely returning this one based on your feedback. I also read the amazing reviews deeper and found that a large amount were essentially paid for in order to get the mic for free. I guess I need to look closer next time.

I had heard that USB mics weren't great, but since you suggested them I looked some up. The snowball is in my budget (it's a wash with what I bought already since I wouldn't need the phantom power). The Blue Yeti seems to sound a lot better, but is a little beyond what I was hoping to spend. Will probably tip towards one of those two unless there are other recommendations somewhere between.

I write positive reviews on Amazon when the product is exceptionally good, and usually stay mum when they are not good. I get numerous (like 5 a day) requests to give positive reviews for a item that is deeply discounted. I ignore all of them, and they are usually for ultra cheap electronics.

Audio Technica makes a USB mic for about $60 (AT2500?) that was my first mic, and it did a decent job. AT2020 is decent too, but closer to $100.

I went ahead and bit the bullet, getting the Blue Yeti. I'm very pleased with the purchase. It will probably be all I ever need. Thanks for the help.

There is a lot of interest in this particular mic at the moment - respected broadcast people scoffed at it, especially as it comes with an xlr to 3.5mm cable, and bought one - only to be amazed. It works rather well. I bought a few to experiment with and it's overpriced in the amazon link. You can currently buy them on ebay in different brands for less than ten pounds! They can operate on the hot power that comes out of my mac, or common video cameras, and they are happy on real phantom. Quality wise, of course there are loads of better performing mics, but these really do NOT beling in the pile of poo cartegory. For a bit of podcasting, or as a cheap do most things OK mic, they are amazing value for money. Even the clamp costs more than the whole thing. Daft!

You told us about the mic and the phantom power unit - but what are you using to get the audio into the computer? You mentioned USB - so which device do you have? My best guess is that this is the problem. Many are really basic and have little or no control over gain. They're designed to bellow into - mic on the lips style. A proper audio interface is a requirement for any proper recording - and your mic isn't wasted till you can get some recording under your belt and move up.

I'd urge anyone with a tenner to spare to have a pop to ebay and buy one of these. They are not brilliant and ultra-sophisticated, but as a spare or even for curiosity, they're worth buying. I bought 4, and I don't consider it wasted money at all. They're quite bright, and do a pretty reasonable job on sources that benefit from bright mics.

Here is just one of the many ebay listings at ten quid or below.
BM700 Condenser Wired Microphone 3.5MM Jack Mic Sound Studio For Recording Party | eBay

There is a lot of interest in this particular mic at the moment - respected broadcast people scoffed at it, especially as it comes with an xlr to 3.5mm cable, and bought one - only to be amazed. It works rather well. I bought a few to experiment with and it's overpriced in the amazon link. You can currently buy them on ebay in different brands for less than ten pounds! They can operate on the hot power that comes out of my mac, or common video cameras, and they are happy on real phantom. Quality wise, of course there are loads of better performing mics, but these really do NOT beling in the pile of poo cartegory. For a bit of podcasting, or as a cheap do most things OK mic, they are amazing value for money. Even the clamp costs more than the whole thing. Daft!

You told us about the mic and the phantom power unit - but what are you using to get the audio into the computer? You mentioned USB - so which device do you have? My best guess is that this is the problem. Many are really basic and have little or no control over gain. They're designed to bellow into - mic on the lips style. A proper audio interface is a requirement for any proper recording - and your mic isn't wasted till you can get some recording under your belt and move up.

I'd urge anyone with a tenner to spare to have a pop to ebay and buy one of these. They are not brilliant and ultra-sophisticated, but as a spare or even for curiosity, they're worth buying. I bought 4, and I don't consider it wasted money at all. They're quite bright, and do a pretty reasonable job on sources that benefit from bright mics.

Here is just one of the many ebay listings at ten quid or below.
BM700 Condenser Wired Microphone 3.5MM Jack Mic Sound Studio For Recording Party | eBay

The one I had is linked above. It went through phantom power directly into the mic jack on my computer. That was not the problem. So unless I received a broken one, it was a pile of poo. I had to boost from my computer to get any kind of sound coming through and it was incredibly poor quality at that level.

The USB mic is what I was considering, and ultimately bought, as a replacement. I am very happy with it, where I was incredibly unhappy with what I had purchased originally. So based on my experience I wouldn't recommend anyone purchase the one I listed above. I may have gotten a dud, so take it with a grain of salt, I'm just glad I bought through Amazon so I could return it.

Back