Condenser Mic For About 100$ - Which One Should I Get?

My general understanding is that SDCs have two important qualities: they are generally more neutral than LDCs (note their use as test microphones), and the extremely low mass of the diaphragm makes them extremely capable of handling transients.

LDCs are more likely to add a particular to the sound, which will be advantageous in some situations, but not in others.

Thanks!

You might want to take a look at the MXL 2003a. Like all MXL mics, it's a Chinese made mic. However, it does NOT have the typical Chinese LDC sound...meaning tilted up on the high end. It is practically ruler flat from 20Hz to 20kHz. Will that sound good to you? It depends. To some people, a flat mic sounds dull or lifeless. What that typically means is that they PREFER mics with 'character'...namely mics that have bumps in their response which make them sound "warm" or "fat" or "bright". Anyway, add the 2003a to your shortlist of mics to consider. It's a worthy contender.

You also might want to consider a 3U Audio CM-1. It too is an LDC going for around the same price as the 2003a. But that is where all similarities end. It is the polar opposite of the MXL...a character mic in a big way. But in this case, the character in question may be a flavor you will love. It has a nice mellowness to the low end, a bump in the mids which gives the mic some reach on vocals, and a nicely tamed not at all harsh top end. Best of all, the internal components are all top notch rather than the run of the mill surface mounted stuff. The company is based out of Australia with production done in (where else) China. But the mic has a decidedly vintage voicing rather similar to old (pre-80's) Neumann's. Check 'em out.

I was going to also suggest the CAD M179 in my earlier post, but the price of the mic is now up around $200 from most retailers and perhaps a bit more than the OP wants to spend. Pretty steep jump in price considering it had been around $120-$129 just a short while ago.

+1. Any clues about the sudden rise in price?

Paj
8^?

Back