Condensator mic ... to what cost?

gastblaster

I'm out scanning the terrain for some advice when bying a condensator mic. I want an allround microphone for mainly vocals and acoustic guitar. Good ambient characteristica is also a plus!

The price is also an issue... no more than 300$ will be paid.

May the Force be with us!

/G

Whooo... It's late here in Sweden, so every word can't be translated with perfection.

Thank you for your enlightning reply!

maybe a used audio technica 4033. You can't go wrong with the 40 series. Some serious bang for the buck!2

I think the transducer type mic term your looking for is "condenser". ;)

The Marshall MXL603S is a cheap but good sounding acoustic instrument mic... as for your vocal mic, you should audition all the mic's you can before you buy one.

Buy an SP-B1 for $80. It is a faily neutral large diaphragm condenser mic and works well for vocals and accoustic guitar. While you're using it, keep saving your money to add to the $220 you still have. By the time you're ready for another mic, you'll be able to afford most anything.

Of course, you realize that with a condenser mic you need a pre or mixer with phantom power.

crazydoc said:
Buy an SP-B1 for $80. It is a faily neutral large diaphragm condenser mic and works well for vocals and accoustic guitar. While you're using it, keep saving your money to add to the $220 you still have. By the time you're ready for another mic, you'll be able to afford most anything.

Of course, you realize that with a condenser mic you need a pre or mixer with phantom power.

What crazydoc said - the Studio Projects B1 is a very good large diaphragm condenser mic for a very little amount of money. I own two of them and have successfully used them on both sources you mentioned. They are also quite good for electric guitar and for drum overheads.

The small diaphragm Marshall MXL603 is also a good choice for acoustic guitar and hihat, but I've never heard any vocal tracks cut with it.

Both mics are low cost in the U.S. ($80 or less), and both are made in China.

IMHO, the Studio Projects B1 is more versatile. Also, the support (if needed) from PMI audio (the distributor for Studio Projects series mics ) is excellent.

Consider AKG C2000B, a mid-sized diaphragm condenser. Very versatile, good on vocals and guitar, cheap in Europe, compared to the competition. In the U.S., I'd agree with Studio Projects B-1, but on the other side of the pond, it's not so attractive. The C2000B has a pad and bass rolloff, unlike the B-1, and frankly, I prefer it on most vocals.-Richie

Rode NT-1A produces good results.
AT 3035 would be another good option.

You'd need a mic pre-amp to run these successfully.

Back