Complimentary pair for Neumann KM 184?

Marais

Hello,
I record mostly classical music.
I've been using the KM 184 for over a year now very very happy.
But often I have certain conditions such as :
1 - Recording ensemble and singer/singers
2 - A narrator in an echoey church accompanied by an instrument
3 - A larger ensemble

And think it would be good to get another stereo pair to have four microphones from time to time.

Should I just buy another pair of Neumann KM 184 or something a little different to round out my setup.

Recording through the Babyface Pro but will soon have a 4 xlr input card, and on Mac with Logic Pro X

Thanks for all suggestions.

It depends on how you want to progress. If you like the KM184's and know how to get them to work for you, then two more do makes sense. However, you could possible buy something even more suitable. How about a pair of AKG 414s? It adds about 50% to your budget but offers all sorts of possibilities to enhance or even replace some of the things you do. Figure 8 patterns offer Blumlein possibilities, or perhaps M/S, and of course the spaced techniques or coupled with your other mics, variations on omnis and cardioids to suit the location and source. If you like the KM184s, then the 414 makes an ideal partner, and the multi patterns can cope with a greater range of combinations. They occasionally come up second hand in pairs for about the price of two new 184s.

Wow that is EXACTLY the kind of information I was looking for! I thank you a zillion!
I think I might buy the AKG 414s I've seen them and heard about them before.

One last question :
Would it be foolish to acquire just one? I wouldn't be able to record a stereo image in this case although for the budget....

The Gefell UMT 70S are in the same ball-park price-wise as the C414.

3-patten switchable and use the orignal Georg Neumann M7 capsule - this has a single backplate with two diaphragms, rather than having two separate back-to-back cardioid capsules, which keeps the diaphragms closer together.

Back