Comparison of MXL V67G and Rode NT1000

aznwonderboy

Do people compare microphones one at a time? In my novice opinion, the sound source may be different each time: The vocal may be a bit closer to the microphone, thus creating more deep end sound. The vocalist may sing a bit stronger, clearer, smoother, or better pronunciation. These little subtle differences will give bias, hence defeating the whole purpose of comparing microphones.

Currently I have V67G and Nt1000. I record using both mics at the same time, on the same mic stand (using a 3-microphone adapter), at the same height, through the same pop stopper, using same model and length of microphone cables, amplified by the same DMP3 Preamp, and into the same sound card. This way, I'm truly comparing them from the same exact sound source.

What's the downfall of this technique of comparison?

-The only thing I can think of is that I tried to sing in between the mics so that they can receive the same amount of vocal energy. There is a 2 cm gap between them because that's the closest that the 3-microphone adapter will swing in. In this way, the mics are not exactly in the center so they don't receive the maximum impact of the voice.

What the 3 microphone adapter look like: http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ULT12906

Now, the major problem is that after applying the reverb and slight compression, the vocals of both mics sound the same. If I hadn't read that the V67G is darker, then I would not be bias in looking for this darkness. But since I am already bias in this area, I do think the V67G has a very slight lower end than the NT1000.

I asked this before, but I still have a problem deciding on it. Which one should I keep and which one should I part with? I only want to keep one. I don't like to record using both at the same time because neither one gets to be in the middle when the vocal hits, so that might diminish the potential of both microphones somewhat. Besides, I don't want an extra one lying around the house when I could sell one and spend the money on something else. I'm just a home recording enthusiast who is obsessed with professional quality at the lowest price possible.

Any opinion and suggestion would be appreciated.

Last edited:
What about other sources besides vocals? Like acoustic guitars or key-jingling? Can you tell a difference there?

Now, the major problem is that after applying the reverb and slight compression, the vocals of both mics sound the same. If I hadn't read that the V67G is darker, then I would not be bias in looking for this darkness. But since I am already bias in this area, I do think the V67G has a very slight lower end than the NT1000.

If you can't tell the difference and are getting good results, buy the cheaper one.

Well, I was hoping to learn which one is more versatile to work with in respect to EQ, mixing, and effects. I mean, right now I can't distinguish one from another using the reverb and compression effects. But maybe in the future, a certain way to EQ or a certain special effect will divide them clearly and let one shine or something.

Which one has a better potential of shining (in general)?

Whichever one sounds better on whatever you're using it for.

Only way to really tell is to hear it in the context of a mix. Just a solo vocal won't do you any good. Try layering a bunch of harmonies or backup parts, and record some instruments while you're at it. Pay attention to which one gives you fewer headaches come mixdown time.

Then come back and tell us what you think.

chessrock hit it dead on the money. one track won't give you a clear indication of how the mic will work in a mix......only a mix will do that. and after all, isn't the way the vocal sounds in the context of the mix the whole point?

record 5 or 6 tracks using each of them (guitar, bongos, vox, etc) and then see which one has more mud in it come mixdown.....or as chessrock put it, see which one is the more of a pain in the ass to work with. that'll give you your answer.

most mics will give you a satisfactory result when you use them as a solo track.......however, it's when you start stacking 15, 20, 30+ tracks on top of each other that you will start seeing the true difference in lower versus higher priced mics.

my guess is that's also why a lot of us who record acoustic guitar/vocal "demos" are perfectly happy with the B1s, V67s and 603's of the world.....we simply don't have a lot of other "stuff" in our mixes that would make us notice the "crap" that the lower level mics can impart in the context of a large mix. It's when we START doing a lot of "bigger" mixes that we find ourselves fighting the gear and making eq decisions, etc., to compensate for it.....to paraphrase Fletcher, "great gear just makes getting great recordings EASIER".

cheers,
wade

Back