Compairing AKG 3000B to a Shure KSM44

mistahx505

Im using a AKG 3000B mic now for my vocals. Puts out quality recordings but ive been wanting to upgrade.. Been looking at a KSM44 . my ? is whould a Shure give me a more rich/warm sound than the AKG.

Or other than that.. what do you guys recommend for a good studio mic for vocals at a price range of 500$.. thanks.

The KSM44 is an excellent mic, but may or may not be the first choice for vocals. It's a damn versatile mic though.

If you're ONLY gonna record vocals, you can do better for the money. But the KSM44 will still be good, and far beyond the C3000.

The C3000 is crap.

I wouldn't call KSM44 warm or rich. I'd call it clear, accurate, and versatile. Rode NTK is warm and rich. GC had them down to $400 yesterday. My backing vocalist, Maureen Fleming, bought a KSM44 yesterday because the NTK can be a little muddy in a dense mix, and the KSM44 brings out the clarity of her magnificent voice. YMMV- Richie

$500 is enough of a budget to get a nice condenser AND a large diaphram classic dynamic microphone, like a Sennheiser 441 (or MD421) or an Electro-Voice EV RE20 (or PL20) .

If you have a good strong pre, the Shure SM7 should also be on your short list.

Chris

I thought the KSM44 was a $700 mic.

The KSM32 is a $500 mic.

The C3000 is a $100 mic that sells for $300.

Back