Co1u Thoughts

Skip Ellis

I've had one of these for awhile but never got into using it, or recording for that matter, but have decided to take the plunge. I've been researching interfaces and pairs of condenser mics for a few days and have gotten some good suggestions but after this AM, I've decided to hold off and use what I've got: this CO1U microphone and a decent computer and Audacity and some REALLY GOOD luthier built acoustic and classical guitars. Since 99.9% of my recording will just be solo guitar, I watched some You Tube vids of this mic being used for solo acoustic guitar with no EQ or other processing and, dang, if it didn't sound great. I've read some comments about it being noisy but it wasn't noticeable on the stuff I heard. I'll be recording CDs for family, friends and selling at gigs so this simple setup should do what I want (not a lot of post processing except maybe a little reverb) without spending a bunch of money - I did order a shockmount, however. We'll see what happens. Any suggestions for a 'step up' mic in the future that won't break the bank and would it improve things any to go to a matched pair with an interface?

Are you using the USB version of the mic, or do you have an audio interface? If its the USB version, the advice you will receive it to step up to an audio interface and non-USB mic.
What is the room you are tracking in like? Recording an acoustic in an untreated (acoustically) room with a condensor mic can be a crap shoot - lots of experimenting with positioning the guitar, the mic, etc.

USB Version - living room or bedroom. Nothin' fancy here. My listeners don't know good from bad as long as they hear music - no audiophiles here!!

Back