Cloudlifter question

BigJoe

Hi all, long time lurker! I just ordered a cl-2 to use in the studio for the sm7b and ribbon mics, but I saw this reviewer on amazon in regards to the cl-1 which makes me nervous it says "I had to use a longer than 10 foot cord from the box to the recorder or the recorder shut off. Maybe the phantom power needed more cord to not overpower the unit."

I don't think this will be a problem but I don't want to risk frying my recorder(tascam dp-24) either. I ordered some bulk canare star quad cable and neutrik connectors and wondering if I should be running short or long to the cl-2 > dp-24? I will try and keep the length as short as possible between the mic > cl-2, but not sure what to do about running from the cl-2 into the mixer. I am guessing the guy is having other issues, but i've no experience with these devices yet, should receive it tomorrow to play with,

Any advice would help,
Thanks!

I guess the guy has a fault, with a dodgy cable, the cloudlifter or desk! Phantom powered devices should just work, regardless of cable length.

The Canare SQ is a good choice - works well and very durable. I made 16 cables up for our studio well over 5 years ago..might even be 10. No breaks yet.

Okay, Thanks! I have never heard of such an issue before myself, but wanted to make sure. And I have heard great things about Canare cables so I can't wait to make some up. I just had some less than month old store brand cables short on me and I opened them up and it was terrible the quality and they weren't cheap(price-wise) cables either. So I am hoping I can just make my own from now on and not have so many issues with bad cables, specifically xlr cables. I never have this problem with 1/4" insturment cables for some reason.

So I am hoping I can just make my own from now on and not have so many issues with bad cables, specifically xlr cables. I never have this problem with 1/4" insturment cables for some reason.

If you're capable, do it.
I bought two 100m drums of cable years ago and I still have plenty left.
I haven't bought a guitar/patch/mic cable in about 8 years. :)

Just make sure you have continuity from day one. Ie red always = pin 2 and green always = pin 3, or whatever.
Nothing worse than an odd one out when you least expect it. :p

Hah, I'll have to keep that in mind! I definitely don't want to waste time figuring out which way a particular cable is wired every time I have to do maintenance.

I haven't soldered in a while tbh, but I don't mind maybe messing up a few times to get back into the groove of things. Last thing I soldered was some emg p/u's over 10yrs ago lol. I figure my first few cables won't be the highest in craftsmanship but I have to start somewhere and I can always re-solder to fix any mistakes.

Good idea! Also I've been watching some youtube vids on soldering xlr cables and notice some people tin the tips of the wires and some tinned all of the exposed wire. Should I tin just the tips or all of the exposed copper? Also I noticed only one guy used flux in his video, but I plan on using it myself, just to be safe.

If you cut each wire to the right length then all of the exposed copper will be soldered to the jack terminal. ;)

Tin the wire, tin the terminal, then heat them both together.
If it doesn't flow nice and neat then it's not a good joint. Clean, flux and try again. :)

+1 to Steeno's post.

I would add that solder for electrical use usually contains rosin flux, so you won't need to use any extra unless the cable or plugs are old. With Canare and Neutrik you should not need it.

Plumbers flux is quite acidic and needs to be cleaned off afterwards. I use it for soldering bigger bits of brass, but not usually cables.

Cheers!

Stewart

Okay thanks for tips guys, I plan on using 60/40 rosin, so i'll hold off on the flux if it's not important, and i'll be careful to only expose what will be soldered. Maybe i'll get enough and make my own $6,000 cables for sale. Lol :D

Soldering is like riding a bike. You'll be back up to pro status in no time.
Unlike a newb durning soldering 101 ... learning which end of the hot soldering iron to hold on to! :eek:

I was in a foundation degree audio production class a few years ago.
There were about 30 of us an our new tutor for experiment systems design (or whatever) asked "who knows how to solder".

I put my hand up and his jaw dropped. One in 30?
I only have a small home setup, but just glancing up at my wall where I hang the leads I can easily count £3-400 saved.

I was in a foundation degree audio production class a few years ago.
There were about 30 of us an our new tutor for experiment systems design (or whatever) asked "who knows how to solder".

I put my hand up and his jaw dropped. One in 30?
I only have a small home setup, but just glancing up at my wall where I hang the leads I can easily count £3-400 saved.

Half the reason why people are afraid to work on their electric gear. Can't solder or unsolder correctly.
That and not knowing a cap. from a trans. etc.. :D

Well I made my first cable, it's not the prettiest but it worked and sounds better than my stock cable. One tip to anyone new to this is make sure the ends are aligned the same. I made a short 1ft cable to go to my cloudlifter and it has to be twisted around as the ends are upside down from each other.

The reviewer's issue doesn't make any sense. The last thing I'd suspect as the problem is the Cloudlifter. Who knows what preamp he's using, cables, etc... There is a fantastic SOS article that shows how a cloudlifter actually reduces the noise floor and provides cleaner signal while still boosting the signal. This is not the case with the Fethead the article points out. I'll have to try and find it.

+1 on 60/40 rosin I've just started using Silverline and I love it. ( not affiliated). I don't think you'll ever regret rolling you own unless you really don't get to grips with soldering. Some good advice above btw tin everything. Have fun.
Rich

With cables under 20 feet, on either side of the Cloudlifter, it shouldn't make a difference when using the Cloudlifter. On the input side of the pre-amp up to 20' will be fine. On the output side, you can use an extremely long cable and won't notice anything.

Back