Clip-on Drum Mics

scared_of_girls

I've heard that these are no good for recording.

I am thinking of getting the Samson 7Kit (1 x QKick, 1 x QSnare*, 3 x QTom* and 2 x CO2 pencil condensor). Alternative is get some more SM57s for toms and snare, a cheapish (suggestions?) bass/kick and a second Samson CO1 large diaphram condensor for twin overheads.
*clip-ons

Anybody like to comment?
Do I really nead to mic the toms if I have overhead condensors (assuming I don't go with the kit)?

NB - I am playing rock (guitar-based light to medium rock not heavy/hard) and just want to record a decent demo

OH's might cover the toms aswel, placing overheads higher mostly make your toms louder compared to the cymbals.

I won't suggest the C01 for overheads. I own one and it's really not bad for vocals, but it sucks on OH's.

I don't know about the mic kit, but you're allways ok with a few sm57's.(also suitable for guitar, etc)
My suggestion would be:
2x SP B1 or mxl603 OH's
D112, Beta52, ... for kick (there's also this D6 or smthng I hear a lot of)
and an sm75 for snare
and maybe 3 more for the toms if you got the cash.

scared_of_girls said:
I've heard that these are no good for recording.

I am thinking of getting the Samson 7Kit (1 x QKick, 1 x QSnare*, 3 x QTom* and 2 x CO2 pencil condensor). Alternative is get some more SM57s for toms and snare, a cheapish (suggestions?) bass/kick and a second Samson CO1 large diaphram condensor for twin overheads.
*clip-ons

Anybody like to comment?
Do I really nead to mic the toms if I have overhead condensors (assuming I don't go with the kit)?

NB - I am playing rock (guitar-based light to medium rock not heavy/hard) and just want to record a decent demo

Don't use mic clips period. Use stands.

The clip mics can be fine, it all depends on what's going on. If the mic sounds good while you're smacking your drum then don't worry. There can be vibration problems, so be careful.

If you're recording to digital you will likely cut all the noise out between tom hits anyhow on the track etc.

I would not suggest a clip on anything for snare though as it's the pulse of your music. Use a stand there always.

Toms though, typically not a real problem. I've done it quite a bit with no issues before I bought a bunch of mic stands.

War

Back